The Sewing Place

Best/easiest way to sew buttons onto press studs?

sewingj

Best/easiest way to sew buttons onto press studs?
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:47:44 AM »
I`m making a top for my grandson which has a placket opening.  I don`t want to put buttons on as my machine isn`t reliable with jersey buttonholes and I don`t have  Kam snaps so I was going to sew some small  plastic press studs on and want to disguise them with a small button on top.
I`ve got in a muddle doing this before as iit s tricky to sew the button in place once the press stud has been sewn on and vice versa

Any tips please!

BrendaP

Re: Best/easiest way to sew buttons onto press studs?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »
I think I would attach the press stud first, and then the button as it will be easier less difficult to manipulate the sewing thread around the press stud, and will need to be sewn by hand.

Make sure the press studs are strong enough, ie big enough, to do the job and then choose flat buttons
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:54:37 AM »

There are press studs underneath the buttons.  I sewed the snaps first and then the buttons on top.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 11:30:01 AM »
There is no easy way, but I find that press studs, then buttons is better than the other way round!  :rolleyes:  I practised, and the other way was nigh on impossible...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 11:31:47 AM »
Yes I’d do it this way too.  Have tried both and prefer not to at all!   :)

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:42:04 AM »
Yes I’d do it this way too.  Have tried both and prefer not to at all!   :)
I'm coming round to that way of thinking! I've managed to sew on the press studs so the stitching doesn't show on the right side so I think I will leave it like that

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:56:44 AM »
It's a while since I've done this although I do need to do it again for some dolls' clothes. Oddly enough though I think I did it the other way around - buttons first and then press studs because I've always used buttonhole stitch for sewing press studs, my mum taught me that way. 

It worked for me because I could use the needle vertically through the button without the press stud always in the way and, as long as I'd not sewn the button on too tightly, it wasn't so difficult to sew on the press stud with the needle at an angle slipping under the rim of the press stud. You can also leave the end of the button thread dangling until the end and wrap it around the threads afterwards to tighten it up a spot. Selecting press studs that are just a bit smaller than the buttons helps as well in order to avoid sewing through the lump of thread from the attachment of the button.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.