The Sewing Place

Who will get their knitting machine out?

Bodgeitandscarper

Who will get their knitting machine out?
« on: January 26, 2021, 13:14:59 PM »
Come on, peeps, you know you want to.  Dust it off and get it set up, I'm feeling a bit lonely with mine...

coffeeandcake

Re: Who will get their knitting machine out?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 13:45:45 PM »
Haha!  I read all about the machine knitting that you post on here and just yesterday I was thinking that I should do some.  Unfortunately I sold my pretty much unused machine a few years ago to help fund my other habit.  It had followed us overseas and through many house moves and was relegated to various loft spaces over the years.  I suppose I'll have to stick to knitting needles for a while longer. (unless I see an amazingly good deal - off for a google :))

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 13:52:11 PM »
Haha - I sold mine too, about 12 years ago. I've had Brother mechanical, electronic and chunky, Bond and Passap over the years, plus all the gadgets - garter carriage, knitleader, Hague Linker, etc etc. I used to love it but gradually found it was making my neck worse and worse so had to give up. I nearly cried when my last machine was sold. :( Now I've been able to resurrect my sewing hobby which had taken a back seat while I was machine knitting. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 15:53:51 PM »
I still have a Corona (!) Jumbo in the garage, along with the ribber and colour changer for the Knitmaster 700. I thought I would work back up to using all of it. I decided I could knit pretty much anything I really wanted without the ribber for the time being, but might get the colour changer out at some point.

I would love to use the Jumbo - it's a lovely machine, but, short of using it on the dining table, I think I'd have to reposition the table I have the 700 on at right angles to the wall and put it on the other side, which wouldn't be too convenient.

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 16:34:06 PM »
Oh I'd love a knitting machine! I shall just have to live vicariously through all of yours instead and make do with my needles!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 18:18:21 PM »
I do have a  Bond sat in the wardrobe.  Don’t think I’ve ever used it.  :(  Picked it up second hand.

My mum had to get rid of her big machine but has to knit.   :) So she bought an Addi machine which she can manage. 

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 21:27:42 PM »
I've watched quite a lot of videos about those Addi machines and I'm very, very tempted. -< The fact that I don't have time to do everything else I want to do has no bearing on the matter. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 21:35:31 PM »
I daren't get mine out at the moment as my next project after the GKs jumpers is a small rug, think Readicut leftover wool and the piece of canvas I'm sure :thinking: is somewhere in the loft.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 13:19:43 PM »
I love all of this (sometimes unintelligible to me) talk about the machines, but I've never owned one. Like anything, they seem quite simple from the outside, but when I read about your things I realise they must be hellish complicated  :)
I just make do with the pointy sticks I'm afraid.

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 13:25:05 PM »
I'm rubbish at the pointy sticks sort of knitting but carry on because I find it relaxing/therapeutic. Will I ever succumb to a knitting machine? I've not bought a loom yet... :thinking:

Celia

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 14:23:06 PM »
I still have a lot of my machines but I think I am machine knitted out, I used to use one almost everyday for many years, I did a couple of things last year but I no longer gave the machines set up and it is quiet a per lava getting all I need out.

Love reading about everything you make and I do still Gand knit nearly everyday

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 11:52:35 AM »
I think I have fixed my Knitradar! I had almost given up. I have to state here that I haven't been working on it all this time - mainly because the old piano stool that I use for knitting had a huge pile of other stuff on it. Until I put that away it was a good excuse not to sit and solve the problem. I was awake at 4.00am today worrying about what I had spent on a new table and new cones of yarn and the new shelving OH had put up to store my yarn on. Without the Knitradar it is all useless to me!

The You Tube video of the man fixing the Knitradar was no good because my machine didn't come apart in the same way. I had one last search this morning and found another one (English this time) using one that did! I sat down, followed the instructions and I think I've done it! It remains to be seen but I'm living in hope!

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 11:58:01 AM »
I would love to get my knitting machine out - but I haven't got one!  I have thought about it now and again, but I literally have no room.  I do enjoy watching what others have made though.  Particularly, the little sweaters that @Bodgeitandscarper  makes for Clarry!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Diane

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 20:28:54 PM »
Ooh i'd love a knitting machine but they look so complicated to use that i don't think i would ever get the hang of it. This week i've been watching a few videos on youtube and it all looks so confusing, maybe i'm just getting old  :rolleyes: If i was to purchase one  what would you recommend getting?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 23:18:21 PM »
@Diane I would go with one of the two main contenders, Knitmaster or Brother, if nothing else because there were/are more of them around and you are more likely to be able to buy spares for them. Go for a basic punchcard machine for learning on and make sure you get one with a charting device - Knitradar for Knitmaster and Knitleader for Brother. With a knitting machine you cannot lay your knitting down and measure it because it is too distorted when it's on the machine. One of the hardest things is finding patterns to suit your yarn and vice versa, and the charting device sets you free of this. Some are built in and some attach separately.

Yes it is complicated to start with but you will learn quickly and besides You Tube there are several of us on here who will be able to help. One more thing - you will need to be able to keep your machine set up somewhere. If you keep it under the bed you will never use it!