The Sewing Place

Who will get their knitting machine out?

toileandtrouble

Re: Who will get their knitting machine out?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 16:14:47 PM »
@whofilets  There used to be a vintage sock machine in a nearby town shop window. Apparently it was invented by a clergyman because every time he asked a girl out, she had to knit socks. I suppose she then 
 went on to washing her hair.
Is that filet, as in crochet?
Good idea to bring your stash with you. Shops are closing down here at a rate of knots.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

whofilets

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
@whofilets  There used to be a vintage sock machine in a nearby town shop window. Apparently it was invented by a clergyman because every time he asked a girl out, she had to knit socks. I suppose she then 
 went on to washing her hair.
Is that filet, as in crochet?
Good idea to bring your stash with you. Shops are closing down here at a rate of knots.

The clergyman story is cute  ;)

the "filets" part is actually just random. The name I used to use was taken on a different forum and who--- filets were the two words in the security captcha!! Not that I don't want to learn filet crochet. I've just got back into crochet over the last year and crochet techniques and resources have really exploded! It feels like people are doing things with crochet I never know you could do.
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

Greybird

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2022, 14:36:55 PM »
Shortly after posting here last year that I had fixed my Knitradar, I realised that I hadn't, there was still a problem with it. Shortly after that, OH received his diagnosis of throat cancer and all thoughts of knitting vanished.

Now, with OH doing not too badly, I have spotted the layer of dust on the knitting machine. The good news is that I have found a knitting machine service man in Stroud, Gloucestershire, which Google says is an hour and six minutes away from me. OH says he is happy to drive there and I have an appointment for next Wednesday! He does sewing machines as well and I might take my Husqvarna Emerald with me and get that done too. Watch this space!

Celia

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2022, 15:29:07 PM »
@Greybird that is such a coin as I have just knitted my swatch on my Brother 965i ready for my new project as on this thread https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,14001.0.html

I hope you get your machines sorted and look forward to seeing what you do.

Greybird

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 15:32:15 PM »
That is a lovely sweater @Celia - very clever to combine hand and machine. I will never, never, ever be a hand knitter (I can't bear the clicking together of the needles) so I am very admiring of you!

Celia

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2022, 15:33:45 PM »
Thank you but let’s wait and see how it goes :laughing:, I do love both hand and machine knitting but have never combined them before.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 15:58:13 PM »
Ooh, more machine knitting company, excellent  0_0

I'm working on getting two of mine set up again, now we've replaced the rotted skirting board in the spare bedroom.

Celia

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 17:04:08 PM »
I am also considering making a cotton mix jumper in Yeomans Panama as I have some left from years ago, still haven’t put the ribber up yet so still in the planning stage.

It’s great to have some company and encouragement on the machine. 

Greybird

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 16:07:58 PM »
My Knitradar is now working - for real. After it's service the machine is now working like a dream, like it always did! I have knitted a front and a back and the size is coming out exactly right. The fact that I don't have enough of the yarn for the sleeves is neither here nor there! I am just happy to have it working.

Celia

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 16:15:49 PM »
That’s good news @Greybird you can always have contrast sleeves, as if it was deliberate   ;)

Greybird

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2022, 16:22:42 PM »
@Celia yes I could, but the yarn was a silk mix in an odd (but very "me" colour) and I don't think I'd find anything that went well enough with it to look intentional. I don't think I'd wear it. It has served it's purpose and I'm happy enough with that!

Turquoise

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2022, 15:44:57 PM »
It’s good to see some machine knitting people here.  I just recently got a standard brother machine and a bulky machine and am slowly learning how to use them.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2022, 15:53:43 PM »
It’s good to see some machine knitting people here.  I just recently got a standard brother machine and a bulky machine and am slowly learning how to use them.

Yes, and you just knitted a very spiffy cardi!
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2022, 17:31:41 PM »
@Turquoise we will of course need to see pics of anything you knit  :P

I keep meaning to get my machines set up again, but the spare bedroom will be needed for a couple of nights at Christmas, so will have to wait til after I think.  And the next thing I want to knit is a chunky cardi for my daughter, but she's just gone off to Australia for two months, so plenty of time.

Turquoise

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2022, 16:21:20 PM »
Here you are @Bodgeitandscarper  :) - as requested.  My first knitting machine make.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]