The Sewing Place

Tension samples

Deafoldbat

Tension samples
« on: January 26, 2021, 19:30:15 PM »
I've accumulated a lot of left over bits of 4-ply sock wool. I weighed it the other day - over a kilo  :scream: -, so I've been looking at using it to make a 'tasteful' (ie garish) garment. I found a simple round necked jumper, suitable for 4-ply (allegedly) and knitted from the top down (why not experiment)  It is knitted on 2.5 and 3.5mm circular needles. According to my admittedly ancient needle gauge these sizes do not exist. I have got a 2.5 set, and a 3.25 and 3.75 set. In 'old money' 4-ply was usually knitted on 12s (2.75mm) and 10s (3.25mm).

The tension for this jumper is given as 21 sts and 24 rows to 4"/10cm using 3.5mm needles. I have tried out both 3.25 and 3.75 needles and get nowhere near that - 26 sts and 34 rows on 3.25mm and 24 sts and 32 rows on 3.75mm.

I have an old pattern (price 1s/5p so pre-1971!) for a 4-ply cardigan knitted on 12s and 10s and the 3.25mm tension square is spot on for that.

Do I try a 4mm needle or decide the pattern maker is lying and back engineer the cardigan?

Ellabella

Re: Tension samples
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 19:56:49 PM »
I’m sure I have some cheap 3.5 bamboo circular needles if they are any good.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 19:23:52 PM »
@Ellabella Thank you, I may yet take you up, but I'm just puzzled how the designer got that tension on that size needle.

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 20:07:18 PM »
Sometimes it is also related to the actual yarn they wrote the pattern for. Different fibres and spinning have an effect on tension I think? Also what material the needles were
And how many test knitters checked it out too - if it was written after just one person knitted it then the tension may be quite a way different than 'average' if you see what I mean?

I'd either change needles until I hit her tension, or use a different pattern that you're happier with :) You will require more yarn than the pattern states though if you're is all pieces, as you lose length on the overlaps.

Enjoy
and pictures  . . .

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 23:27:47 PM »
I'm not a handknitter - only machine, but in my experience you can have two cones of branded yarn, identical but in two different colours and they will knit at different tensions - the dye affects it.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 00:07:09 AM »
I'm not a handknitter - only machine, but in my experience you can have two cones of branded yarn, identical but in two different colours and they will knit at different tensions - the dye affects it.
I am knitting various colours of the same yarn.  It is the same in hand knitting. The dye affects the thickness and softness of the wool differently in each colour. I notice it with my sewing threads too.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 19:35:02 PM »
This is the pattern https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-gb/p/pilcha-knitting-pattern-by-marcela-chang It does look quite loosely knitted to me.

The pattern was for this yarn https://madelinetosh.com/collections/top-40
According to the manufacturer:
26 - 30 sts = 4in or 10cm | US 1 - 2 or 2.25 - 2.75mm
21 - 32 sts = 4in or 10cm | US B1 - E4 or 2.25 - 3.5mm

I may go and try 4mm needles and see where that gets me. It's not as if I bought the yarn specially, I just want to use it up. I've never had this problem with any pattern/yarn before.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 23:11:04 PM »
Years ago when almost all patterns were from the big yarn companies and were well tested I nearly always found that my knitting was pretty well average tension and I could use the needles and yarn suggested and get correct tension.  Also "English" style knitting was the norm here in UK.

Nowadays there are so many indi pattern designers publishing on the web that there is bound to be a range of tight and loose knitters amongst them.  Also many of them knit "continental".  Absolutely nothing wrong with knitting that way but I do think that it often leads to looser tension.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 08:33:31 AM »
... Also many of them knit "continental".  Absolutely nothing wrong with knitting that way but I do think that it often leads to looser tension.

Oh, that would make sense - I made a cardigan for the older goddaughter a couple of years ago from a gorgeous French pattern.  I didn't do a tension square because I've never had to, and it came out much smaller than it should have done.  I will do a tension test next time!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.