The Sewing Place

Are you brand hooked

Gernella

Are you brand hooked
« on: January 27, 2021, 13:01:29 PM »
My 21st Brother zigzag machine was a 21st birthday present that was ditched around 1990ish, I had walked into a sewing shop for a reel of thread and was entranced by the very pretty New Home MC7000. Theoretically the next should have been another Janome because it was a really good machine (New Home branding ditched),  but Russell at SMD suggested a Pfaff and apart from slight deviations to Bernina along the way, my main machine has always been a Pfaff (the Mega Quilter was bought for real muscle).

So now when I look at other machines, I have a lust sometimes for others but I always think they are not as good looking as my Pfaffs or have the right shape for my eye.

Do others have a brand of machine that if they were to upgrade, they would always go with the same brand? Or are you a machine floozy?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

Re: Are you brand hooked
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 13:32:49 PM »
I didn't start sewing until I was 60+ and have only ever had 2machines.
As I don't make clothes I really can't see the point of having more than one machine at a time so gave away my first machine ( 8yrs old ) when I bought my current one. I can't ever see myself needing another machine at. my advanced age.
Both my machines have been Brother and I would only ever look at Brother machines were mine to break down, as I know how they work.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 13:39:07 PM »
I'm sort of brand loyal, I know that's not very loyal of me, but all of the machines I have, tend to have their good points.

I love my Pfaffs, but I also love the stitch quality of my Singers, and my Bernina is so quiet and well behaved.

Sorry, does that make me fickle...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 13:49:28 PM »
I used to love berninas, then I had a flirtation with Janome, but once I discovered pfaff I was totally smitten.
  :loveit: :loveit:

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 14:02:14 PM »
Floozy here. Had two Berninas for decades, one now gone. Keeping Singer 221 til death do us part. Tried out the Juki. We did not bond. Now looking at Janome. But curious about Pfaff. 

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 14:44:33 PM »
Always had Singers until the late 70s then went to Pfaff...I’m on my 4th, a QE720

LeilaMay

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 14:46:46 PM »
Nope - it's just about age for me  LOL
All my machines now are vintage, and I can service and repair all of them myself. I've learnt what I can't do, and at what point of technological advancement they became beyond my scope, and I stick at that :)

In terms of brand I have Elna, Bernina and Singer.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 15:05:40 PM »
I read this as bra hooked and was very confused :facepalm:

My main machine is a Janome which replaced another Janome, sometimes I yearn to try a Pfaff but when i think of things like all the extra feet I own and use I think it would be expensive to convert.

My overlocker and coverstitch are both Babylock and I am hooked.  They both do what they are designed to do wonderfully well without needing constant adjustment.

They were expensive but as most of my sewing is knits at the moment they are in almost constant use and are well worth the outlay.

maliw

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 16:04:29 PM »
I have an Elna (Quilters dream 2) and a Janome Horizon also a Janome Coverstitch and a Babylock overlocker.
I have looked at upgrading to ???? I don't know but I have lots of spare feet for Janomes so it would mean more pennies to change brand.
The Elna and horizon take the same feet so thats a bonus.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 16:16:53 PM »
I think this has gone on the wrong thread :[

So I've deleted the lot in embarrassment -  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 21:37:24 PM by Gernella »
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 18:55:44 PM »
I was always a Husqvarna girl but the last one I had was nothing special and when I went to change it I was introduced to Pfaff.  I'm now on my second one having been given an offer too good to refuse.  Both Pfaffs have been superb so I will stick with them.
Life's too short for ironing.

KayK

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 20:08:58 PM »
I like the very old Singers (have 201K and 27) and I hate to say a pristine 'Touch and Sew' that was made in Germany - solid as a rock, having said that it has a very odd drop in bobbin that rewinds without having to take it out & doesn't hold much thread. 

I'm not keen on machines with drop in bobbins, having had disasters with Janomes and Brothers.

I love my Juki TL98P - straight stitch and industrial feet, goes like the clappers (did buy a computerised Juki and it was foul).  Swapped it for a Bernina B475 which is bliss.  Also have a second hand Bernina Activa, which is an absolute gem.  I have to say the Bernina's are made of slightly sterner stuff, and are very quiet.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

mudcat

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 21:33:50 PM »
We used Elna's and Pfaff's in my home ec classes.  They were always so awful that I never looked at either brand as an adult.  In defense of them, this was probably because of all the students mistreating the poor machines.  Still, I would probably buy another Viking should mine ever die only because I still like mine even after 23+ years.  And it makes great buttonholes.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 21:42:00 PM »
, I would probably buy another Viking should mine ever die only because I still like mine even after 23+ years.  And it makes great buttonholes.

I wish I could be like that @mudcat there is so much temptation around nowadays.  Great buttonholes are hard to beat.

SingingSinger

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 21:59:42 PM »
I learned to sew on a Jones machine and then had a New Home machine for my 21st which I had for a great many years. I traded it in for something else which I can't even remember the brand of, so that one didn't make much of an impact and I sold it on.

Since then I have had 2 Brother machines, which I've really enjoyed using. I've got 3 vintage machines which I only use occasionally (Singer, Bernina and Elna). My new machine is a Pfaff. I am still getting used to it as it is quite different to any I've used before. If I get frustrated with it, I go back to my reliable Brother. So I don't suppose I am brand-hooked but I've got a slight preference for Brother due to familiarity more than anything.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)