The Sewing Place

Are you brand hooked

Ohsewsimple

Re: Are you brand hooked
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2021, 11:40:18 AM »
@Ann.  I still have and use my my SE.  beautiful machine.  Also have a Diamond Royale.  But it’s not the same as the SE.  I think the SE was the last of the really great Husqvarna machines to be made.  They were made in Sweden but the Diamond is made in China.  Yes they have their own factory and the people in charge etc are from Sweden but still.........

Ann

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2021, 15:46:29 PM »
@Ohsewsimple, my SE started to have the electronic boards die on them and when two of them went within a month I called it quits. I really feel the SE was the last great machine made and coming from Sweden it was probably well built. I really noticed the difference in when I started sewing with the Diamond.

I am so happy to hear that you are still sewing with the SE and I hope you have many more years of sewing with it. I think the person who serviced my machines was good with HV machines as he messed up my friend's also. She was able to fix it herself. He seems to be better servicing the less computerized machines even if he has taken all the courses required. The owner whom I bought the Diamond from was an excellent service person. Bring the machine into the class to do a course and he would do a check up on it prior to you using it that day. My machines were in top notch shape with him and I really do miss him and his service.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2021, 22:17:21 PM »
@Ann I worked for a dealer so my machines were looked after by the boss.....for free!   
I’d still like him to service my machines as he still does some work.  But not really  possible at the moment. 

Seaview

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2021, 06:34:10 AM »
Although I would class myself as a beginner now that I think about it I’ve pretty much always had a sewing machine in my home. 

My first new machine was acquired when I started working and bought it myself was an electric Singer, it was OK but I only used it very occasionally for simple alterations.  I then bought a Husquvarna Viking Interlude 435 computerised machine.  This was probably way above my ability requirements and it drove me insane as the top and bottom fabric never went through evenly.  Again, I only very occasionally used this machine and never for garment making, most because I struggled to buy a walking foot from a UK dealer so this machine got sold to a gentleman who wanted to make cushions for his campervan.

A couple of years ago  I went to a yarn show in Edinburgh and stayed across the road from a Bernina dealer, David Drummond’s.  I had a look inside and saw all the wonderful machines and shortly afterwards became the owner of one of the last Bernina 350 which came with a walking foot and quite a few feet.  She is a dream to use and had helped me to really enjoy garment sewing which I really started my journey on last year, 2020.  It still makes me smile knowing that I can go out in public and to work knowing I’m wearing something I made myself.

Elnnina

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2021, 11:37:01 AM »
So glad that you are enjoying your Bernina, as you will realize there are quite a few of us on TSP that are Bernina fans and users, so enjoy and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

Sewbusy

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2021, 13:05:30 PM »
Brand hooked? I guess so, as long as it's a vintage Bernina, I'll never part with my 830 Record, cost me nothing around 15 years ago and is still working perfectly. Did have a 730 record prior to that, my first introduction to Bernina machines and
I've not lost that feeling. Have a slightly more modern 1080 which is lovely. Never fancied a more modern Bernina, although to be fair any model would be out of my price range now! Have a Bernina overlocker which has given equally good service throughout with minimal outlay.

I have a Pfaff sewing/embroidery machine which is very nice, but again didn't really cost me anything but has never faltered in 12 plus years.

Brother? the first brand new machine I ever bought in 1987/8  A very expensive outlay at the time of purchase  RRP was circa £1000 but I got family discount. Still going strong and another machine which has cost me nothing over the years and has been very well used.

Bernina gets my vote for perfect. For me at least.

Marniesews

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2021, 21:46:00 PM »
I'll never part with my 830 Record, cost me nothing around 15 years ago and is still working perfectly.

Well, it would certainly cost quite a lot to replace it right now! I know some must think we're mad paying £300 for an old machine although yours doesn't have the worry of vulnerable computerisation. Current daft covid prices make mine £650 upwards but I paid between £100-300 for my 1020-1530s a few years ago and feel they're worth every penny especially comparing them to my Pfaff which was not short of £2K when I bought it.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Esme866

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2021, 06:38:49 AM »
Cars, cell phones, sewing machines, my motto: use 'em 'til they die.

First machine: a Singer Touch'n'Sew, declared dead and unresurect-able, after 14 years. Bought Janome made Kenmore and it's still going strong after 32 years. If it dies, I'll probably buy one just like it off ebay or Craigslist.

As much as I enjoy Computers and designing all kinds of buildings - I want nothing to do with computerized sewing and for some reason I truly detest having to draft my own patterns. I find those feelings quite weird myself.

I suspect it has to do with wanting something in life to be simple.

Had a helluva time removing the plastic wrap off two eyepencils earlier this week. Would've much preferred spending that time oiling an older machine - much simpler task.

Mamashep

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2021, 00:46:57 AM »
Im not sure how brand loyal I am but the first machine I chose myself was a Pfaff, as was the second. I was then told by a dealer that Janome were better, and was persuaded to buy one. It was ok, but I always regretted selling my Pfaff1475CD to buy it. I've since tried Brother, and Husqvarna, and other Janome modles, but whilst they worked well, there was always just something missing.  A while ago, I realised the thing I was missing was the Pfaff IDT. I happened to visit the dealers to look at Pfaffs, and picked up a refurbished  QE4, and immediately felt at home with it. I then bought a 7550, and recently decided to sell Mm Janome 8900QCP and with the  proceeds decided to buy a new Pfaff. I visited the dealers, but there were no new Pfaffs available, although he had a very nice (like new condition) Performance 5, which came with lots of accessories, and a decent warranty, so it came home with me. Ive also just bought a 1475, which is on it's way to me, and should be here in the next few days. It was a pure nostalgia purchase, just because it was probably the best machine I have ever owned. I will probably have to move on at least one of the machines, as I really do not need all of them. It has taken me many years to realise that for sewing machines, my heart belongs to Pfaffs. Overlockers my preference is definitely Babylock. My Cover stitch is Janome, and my Embroidery machine is Brother.

Lowena

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2021, 10:08:10 AM »
My goodness @Mamashep you must own a gallery/ workshop to house so many machines  :faints: do you use them all regularly?
I have one machine.....a Brother. I bought another, a little one for going to my sewing group but the group disbanded so I didn't need the machine after all :rolleyes:
My Brother machine will see me out :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2021, 10:31:14 AM »
@Mamashep   WOW. 

Actually I've been looking at that particular Pfaff because it gets such good reviews but I think I will have to park that whim, the whim box is full of other stuff
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »
@Mamashep   WOW. 

Actually I've been looking at that particular Pfaff because it gets such good reviews but I think I will have to park that whim, the whim box is full of other stuff
:laughing:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.