The Sewing Place

Invisible Strap Ideas

charlotte

Invisible Strap Ideas
« on: January 28, 2021, 14:25:20 PM »
I'm looking for some ideas for comfortable invisible straps. I want to sew these into my wedding dress, onto the strapless underbodice, which has a sleeveless lace overlay (see picture below). They don't need to be super-strong, just an added layer of security to make sure there is very little weight on the overlay, which is a delicate silk tulle. The inner corselette will be doing most of the work in this respect, these are just an added bonus.

I don't want those plastic invisible bra straps from the noughties, as they get sweaty and gross.

I thought about tulle (I wouldn't need to finish any edges etc.) but I worry that it will stretch, and also may be scratchy. The silk tulle is way too stretchy and the next softest (polyester) tulle I have, although less stretchy, is a bit prickly.

My current best idea is a stretched bias strip of organza. I used these to stabilise the top of the underbodice, and they really don't stretch once you have pulled and ironed them. Cut on the bias, there will be minimal fraying at the edges, so I can just use one strip and it will be pretty much invisible under the tulle.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or can you think of any drawbacks to my bias organza strips idea?

I did think about underlining the whole overlay with silk organza, but it wasn't transparent enough.

My dress design, so you can see what I am talking about regarding the overlay:

Catllar

Re: Invisible Strap Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 16:19:09 PM »
Just my thoughts, I'm sure your  idea would work but is it really necessary? You have a corselet and I'm sure you've added a waist stay so the dress is well secured there. Are you planning to attach your overlay to the base at the underarm points? Wouldn't that give enough security?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 18:02:46 PM »
If you’re going to use silk organza I’d make sure there were no rough edges.  I made the mistake of binding armscye seams with it once.  Jeez, never again.  Had to rip it out and start again.  Very uncomfortable. 

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 23:43:46 PM »
Just my thoughts, I'm sure your  idea would work but is it really necessary? You have a corselet and I'm sure you've added a waist stay so the dress is well secured there. Are you planning to attach your overlay to the base at the underarm points? Wouldn't that give enough security?

It will be attached to the underbodice at multiple points. I’m sure straps are overkill, but now that I’ve started working with the silk tulle and I realise how delicate and prone to stretching it is, I feel happier with a “belt and braces” approach!

Sewbusy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 08:02:56 AM »
Detachable straps as found in some bras, flesh/nude elastic. That way you have the option to use straps if and when you feel they are required.