The Sewing Place

Spencer Ogg Patterns

Ellabella

Re: The Worsley Wallet
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 22:20:46 PM »
When you use leather do you still have to use interfacing or decovil.

@CraftyIrish this is why I’ve not dared to use my purple leather yet, I am really not sure.

When I made the Flip Clutch I tried to iron on some Decovile light and it crinkled horribly but the leather I want to use is very fine, like a glove leather so will need some support.

I’m thinking I will attach some firm interfacing with either 505 or strips of Wondertape because of course once the wallet is made there is nowhere for the interfacing to go.

Just need to be brave and have a go.

CraftyIrish

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 22:35:47 PM »
@Ellabella
Yeah I have leather there that i took off a section of my couch i was getting rid of and its thick enough. Maybe ill just give it ago see how I get on.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

RJR_38

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 15:45:10 PM »
@CraftyIrish

In terms of the studs I used - I am still exploring too. Santa was instructed to buy me a rivet press to make things easier as my husbands shift work means there aren't many times of the day I  could get away with banging a hammer! Before that I used Chicago screws but always struggled to get them the right length.

The rivets I have bought so far have just been 7mm wide ones- no idea of the stalk length as the bag making groups I am in just seem to sell one length. I have noticed that the rivet press was very good at squeezing them together enough whether I was going through 8 layers or 2.... so maybe you just need to bang yours together more? Sorry I can't be more help as I'm still learning myself!

Lizzielogs

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 16:39:42 PM »
I was waiting on a delivery of decovil all week and it came today.  :dance:

I have been at this all day.

Really nice, I am just waiting for 25 of the strap bridges to come from China before I start!

CraftyIrish

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 16:44:59 PM »
I couldn't find any of them in Ireland, what website did you order them from.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

RJR_38

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 21:18:18 PM »
@Iminei     I know you think you can’t but with your patchwork skills you honestly could make a bag! What type of bag would you like? I am happy to help find a beginners pattern in that style and send you the right interfacing you would need so you don’t have to buy any for your first one. I know you have plenty of fabric... What have you got to lose?

@Iminei have you given it any more thought? I have seen some lovely tote bags made from orphan blocks  :devil: :devil:

CraftyIrish

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 10:00:20 AM »
Well I started The Compact Accordion wallet on Sunday but didn't get much sleep the night before so didn't get any sewing done yesterday.
I finished it up this morning wish I had some nice studs or even  embroidery on the flap.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:06:10 AM by CraftyIrish »
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

RJR_38

Re: Spencer Ogg Patterns
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 21:35:35 PM »
I think it looks great!  I don’t often use magnetic clasps but like to use turn locks etc (you can get some gorgeous and unusual ones!) as this adds extra detail without the need for anything else.

CraftyIrish

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 23:21:32 PM »
I think it looks great!  I don’t often use magnetic clasps but like to use turn locks etc (you can get some gorgeous and unusual ones!) as this adds extra detail without the need for anything else.
Yeah I got some turn locks in the post yesterday.

I have cut out all the fabric and interfacing to make 3 more but realised I had no zippers so had to order a few and also went ahead and order some D rings and swivel clasps to make wrist straps.

Has anyone ever tried the little book cover pattern do you know whats needed for it.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

RJR_38

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 22:00:21 PM »
I've made one for my sister for Xmas but I want to make a couple more in half term. You need some decovil light (if using cotton) and decovil light from memory.

It is a nice pattern for using up small bits of vinyl   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

CraftyIrish

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 00:20:31 AM »
Too bad I only have decovil heavy there and it was hard enough to find that.
Yours is lovely by the way.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

RJR_38

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 07:13:48 AM »
@CraftyIrish The only problem with decovil heavy is that it might be hard to turn through - but if you have the patience I am sure it will be do-able. Then just leave the finished product under something heavy to mould to the book.

You don't have to use decovil - and heavier stabiliser would do. What brands do you have over in Ireland? Do you get the American brands like Peltex more than European ones? Pellon peltex 71f would be the alternative I think.

I would look at the websites you can source things from and just look for a heavy interfacing

CraftyIrish

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2021, 13:26:35 PM »
Zippers finally came.  :D
Now 2 sew up 3 wallets
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

CraftyIrish

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 18:56:31 PM »
Finished them wallets
Stitch a long