The Sewing Place

Spencer Ogg Patterns

CraftyIrish

Re: Spencer Ogg Patterns
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2021, 14:25:40 PM »
@CraftyIrish I’m trying that one tonight but want to make it out of scraps first.

I haven’t got any cotton webbing so will make a fabric handle.

I really like the bag with the webbing for a casual look so may have to invest in some.
let me know how you get on and post a pic. I ordered 1'' webbing on amazon because I have all the 1'' hardware there. The webbing only cost me £5.82 for 5 metres.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Ellabella

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2021, 19:44:58 PM »
@CraftyIrish the bag is on hold as I’ve decided I really want the webbing straps so am going to order some tonight.

RJR_38

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2021, 22:11:13 PM »
@Ellabella I think it will look good with webbing. I got some nice webbing from ebay before but lots of places sell it. Nylon webbing is cheaper than thick cotton but it depends what style you are after. I made up one of her bum bags this morning for my sister for dog walking. I used cotton webbing   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ellabella

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2021, 23:51:49 PM »
Ooooh I do like those rainbow zips.  I keep looking at them but I got a 3m length of navy continuous zip recently so shouldn’t buy any more for a bit.

I’m going to make a couple of shopping bags to keep me going until my hardwear arrives.

RJR_38

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2021, 09:32:29 AM »
I am addicted to zips and zipper pulls - it is almost as bad as my fabric habit now haha

Ellabella

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »
Finally got round to making https://www.spencerogg.com/product/the-amplector-pack-pdf-sewing-pattern/

I was waiting for the webbing for the strap.  The webbing I bought was a little softer than I really wanted but that’s the problem with buying on line.

As usual it’s an excellent pattern with comprehensive instructions.  I’ve just noticed one of my sides bulges a bit but I’m not going back in to fix it as I already have another one planned.

This afternoon I’m trying her Forever Shopper in waxed cotton and there should be plenty left for another Amplector.

I haven’t sewn with waxed cotton for years since the days when I patched up motorbike jackets. I’ve a feeling that the new stuff will be nicer to use.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:50:53 AM by Ellabella »

CraftyIrish

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »
That is lovely.
 I'm in the process of making mine its driving me made at the minute. I Don't know what's going on i have had to rip the top stitching out about 5 times now because its skipping stitches. I don't have anymore 90/14 needles but I did try a 100/16 but it was still skipping so what else could be wrong.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Ellabella

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2021, 14:57:37 PM »
What type of fabric are you using @CraftyIrish ?

CraftyIrish

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2021, 15:09:19 PM »
What type of fabric are you using @CraftyIrish ?

Canvas
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Ellabella

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2021, 15:27:09 PM »
The most common cause is a blunt needle, I’d use a 16 for canvas.

If it’s not the needle have you checked your threading, both needle and bobbin? Any stray threads or fluff in the bobbin case?

Is your bobbin wound properly? Sometimes mine can be a bit loose and that can cause problems.

Was the machine stitching properly before you started top stitching?

I try not to top stitching too close to the edge, a millimetre or so further from edge can sometimes help.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2021, 15:39:41 PM »
Have you got any Microtex or Sharps needles?  Failing that a Jeans needle.  I often find many problems with stitching are solved with one of these.

CraftyIrish

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2021, 15:49:36 PM »
I think its mostly the thread and the last 90/14 needle is a cheap one I bought in tesco. I have ordered some new needles. But not sure what to do about the thread because my local fabric shop is not open. Maybe I will contact the shop I purchased the fabric from and get them to pick the best thread to match the fabric.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 15:59:18 PM by CraftyIrish »
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Ellabella

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2021, 17:16:58 PM »
Just finished my second Forever Shopper as a beach bag for DD.

I did the first in waxed cotton. It’s a well designed and well finished bag.

Now all we need is beach weather to go with it
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Clareew

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2021, 19:43:57 PM »
I have made my Amplector bum bag,  I went with 1" webbing because I liked the unusual buckle.

It is a bit big as a walking the dog bumbag but will be useful when we are allowed out more and I need to take mask, and other handbag items.  I love the ingenious method of creating the inside pocket and the way the bag 'is born' through the bottom of the pocket and the zip.

I bought the cork fabric from The Little British Fabric Shop  and managed to get it out of a fat eighth.

Nuttywife59

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
She does some lovely patterns and its great having the videos to watch as well. We have a good little craft shop in our village which is now open and I managed to get my bag strap and fittings from there cheaper than I could online to finish my first one. I still need to make a step for my Bummity bag to put keys in when I walk the dog. This is mine