The Sewing Place

New member novice needs advice!!

EP39

New member novice needs advice!!
« on: January 29, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »
Hello All,

I've never joined a forum before and I may not post correctly so apologise in advance, but I need advice.

My mother passed away in October 2019. We were incredibly close and over a year later I feel her loss every day. She was a talented seamstress and upholsterer. I on the other hand preferred cross stitch and a few years ago took up knitting. I didn't need to sew as she made things for me!  :)

After many years renting I now have a home of my own and in between renovating a large, very overgrown garden, I am making curtains and cushions. I've managed to muddle through so far but am now completely stuck.

I inherited my mother's Janome 3-18 sewing machine. I want to make cushion covers with 8mm flanged cord but, with the feet I have available the machine simply won't sew close enough to the cord for the stitches not to show. My mother used the machine  to make cushions with piping and somehow managed to use the feet that came with the machine. But, of course, now I can't ask her how she did it!  :'(

After hours of research I've invested in an adjustable zipper/piping foot for the machine which has now arrived. I eagerly fitted it but am stuck again...  :facepalm:  The foot is screwed into position so doesn't lift up and down like the other feet..  :thinking:    I've tested it on a scrap piece of fabric/piping and initially the cotton was bunching up underneath. I've increased the tension to 7 and that's cured the bunching but now the stitches aren't catching - just long loops underneath. I've rethreaded both the bobbin and the cotton on top! What am i doing wrong? The fabric is a medium weight so not very thick.

I remember when I was a child I used to try to make a few things with my mother's constant guidance (I managed a couple of skirts and a top) but hated the old Singer sewing machine which seemed to go wrong every two minutes. :headbang: and I think that put me off sewing. The fact that my mother made all sorts of things with it ( including a beautiful satin ballgown for me) proved it was probably my stupidity or impatience... -<

I would appreciate any advice /wisdom bearing in mind I'm about to look up what a 'feed dog' is!!!  0_0

Thank you for reading...

Ohsewsimple

Re: New member novice needs advice!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 12:24:41 PM »
First of all welcome to the forum.  I’m sure you’ll get lots of help here.  And it will be nice to use your mum's machine. 

Just wondering where you got your zipper foot from and is it a proper Janome foot?

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 12:52:15 PM »
Hi @EP39  and welcome to TSP

Tangles underneath usually indicate a problem with the upper tension, so first of all rethread the machine.

Getting a machine to sew very close using a zipper foot should be just a case of adjusting the position of the foot.  I'm not familiar with that machine, but you might also be able to move the needle position one step to get it closer.

When I sew piping or a flanged cord I usually do it in two passess, the first time to get the piping in the right position ie level/parallel with the cut edge without worrying about being very close and then the second pass with the piping/cord tight against the foot without worrying about the piping slipping out of position.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

EP39

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 13:53:58 PM »
Thank you for the quick replies!
Tbh the foot is not a Janome original (ebay copy which was a third of the price) but I did carefully check before I ordered, comparing photos of both, and it is identical to the Janome original.

I initially tried using a different foot (which I think I've identified as a zipper foot!!) but

a) couldn't work out which side the material should go  :facepalm: - I decided on the right so I was feeding the material through the machine 'gap'. These things are not obvious (at least to a novice like me) and it's amazing how difficult it is to find answers on the internet!!!
and

b) even though I tried pushing the cord against the foot it still wasn't tight.

The needle on my machine doesn't move so I can't get it tighter to the cord - which is why the adjustable foot is good and I can see how much closer that will allow me to sew to the cord.

I will try rethreading again and will also do as you suggest Brenda - doing a first run followed by a second. I'll practice more on offcuts unpicking the cord to get it right (as I only have enough cord for the 5 cushions I need)!

I think I spend more time rethreading the machine than sewing...  :boohoo:   
 :)

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 14:10:26 PM »
Is the foot attached correctly? You say “the foot is screwed into position so doesn’t lift up and down like the other feet”. Screwing it on shouldn’t stop it moving up and down when you use the foot lifter to raise and lower the foot. If the foot can’t go down properly, it will stop the tension discs engaging which would result in the loops you describe.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 14:11:39 PM »
My thoughts are that the loops you have on the back might just be the result of the adjustments you made to the tension. Can you adjust the pressure on the foot instead? Also, if your mum made clothes she must have used zips and therefore must have had a zipper foot that was made for the machine?  You are likely to get far better results than with a generic foot. BrendaP's  suggestion of doing it in 2 passes is an excellent one and I would try that first. Feed dogs are the little zig-zag shaped things in the needlebed under the foot. These are what grab at the underside of your fabric and feed it through to the back without you having to push it. Run the machine without thread in and you will see how they do it. Keep trying - don't give up!

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 15:07:26 PM »
Can you post a picture of the foot you have? I have a few different zip feet for my Janome.

Have just checked and yours is a Janome Cat A machine if that is any help.

On reading your later reply I think you probably could do with a generic one that you move the foot rather than the needle.  This one is the closest https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-Adjustable-Zipper-Piping-Foot/dp/B003I55X2O/ref=asc_df_B003I55X2O/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=214192173502&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15898620414754525715&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006464&hvtargid=pla-404358383430&psc=1

It is the same one that Kenneth D King uses on his invisible zipper tutorial. He describes it as a 'generic' foot. I've had mine for decades since I had a Cat A machine but it fits the Cat B or low shank models. You just have to take off the bit that your foot 'snaps' on to. You move the slider along and your foot will go as close to you needle as you want it to.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 16:46:03 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

charlotte

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 15:16:08 PM »
I was going to say you need a 'slidey one' - by which I mean exactly what Helen M posted. I can never get a nice invisible zip or piping in with any other foot. This one, you can have the needle right up against the fabric.

In terms of 'which side', you are going to want the bulk of your fabric on the left. With the 'slidey foot', this means sliding the foot to the right of the needle.

Completely agree that the loops etc. indicate a tension issue - possibly incorrect threading. Have you got the instructions so that you can check you are threading the machine correctly?

Also agree that you should still be able to move the foot up and down, even if it is screwed into place. Not sure what would stop this from happening. Any chance of a photo?

EP39

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 17:13:29 PM »
Thank you all ... much appreciated.

Thanks for the link Helen, yes - that's very similar just a slightly different foot shape but in every other way it's the same. There's no lever to push it up and down so not sure if that's causing a problem? Does your foot go up and down Helen?

Though you can slide the foot so the needle is closer to the piping cord which is good as you can't move the needle on my machine.

Also thanks Greybird for explaining the feed dogs - I never knew that!!! (I can feel my mother looking down and shaking her head in disbelief!!  :angel:)

I'm trying to load images and have just subscribed so will post some photos of the adjustable zipper foot as soon as I'm allowed to. I'm steeling myself to go back and start rethreading.. I have got the instructions and follow them each time.
I must admit tension mystifies me and I do trial and error. I simply can't find clear instructions on which way to turn the wheel!!! Is it 1 for thin fabrics or 9?? If anyone knows a good website which explains this concisely (and how to choose stitch length) I'd really appreciate the link.

Right.. will go and rethread ... and will post photos as soon as I can.

:)

StitchinTime

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 17:31:18 PM »
The lever for raising the foot isn’t specific to the zipper foot, it is the one you use when starting and stopping sewing with the standard foot fitted. You should still be able to do this with the zipper foot fitted.

EP39

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 18:20:32 PM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'm blaming my age and hormones (or lack of!) ... I've just refound the lever I've used a thousand times in the past ... ! Talk about a total brain fog... I should be embarrassed but I know everyone does silly things...  :S

Right.. rethreading and actually using the lever to lower the foot will hopefully resolve my problems. Will let you know if I"m successful.

Thank you everyone for your patience!  :)

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 18:24:09 PM »
No problem.  We love being able to help.   :thumbsup: 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

EP39

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 18:42:47 PM »
Hooorah...  :dance:  what a brilliant foot! It's perfect for the piping cord and has stitched so close you can't see the flange. Turning up the tension, rethreading and actually lowering the foot.. ;)  seems to have resolved that. I will now go around the cushion cover again to restitch what I've already done so the flange doesn't show.

I'm so pleased I joined this lovely forum!  :thumbsup:

While I'm here... I watched an online video about how to join the two ends of the cord together. I tried to copy it and it's a dreadful mess...  :scream:
The video showed the seamstress unwinding an inch or so of overlapping cord then rewinding the pieces into one. When I tried it the individual cords started fraying and it looks like a 5 year old's handiwork. So, any top tips on joining the cord... I'm tempted to glue the ends to stop them fraying and join the two ends together flat.

Happy Friday evening to everyone who has offered help.. 

p.s still struggling to load images..  :'(

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 18:56:23 PM »
@EP39  if you’ve been threading the machine with the foot down, I should put the tension back to where it should be and try it out.  The foot must be up before threading the machine.  :)

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 19:12:38 PM »
The instructions for adding pictures to posts are here.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.