« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 19:43:40 PM »
Glad you got it sorted @EP39!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Greybird

Re: New member novice needs advice!!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 20:06:40 PM »
Pull the cord from inside it's piping cover and cut just the cord (not the cover) by about an inch. Do this on both ends and then overlap the empty bits of cord and turn them to the inside before stitching.

EP39

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 20:07:45 PM »
Here are the photos of the feet as promised. Three are of the adjustable zipper foot.... The last one is of the other feet I have and attachment... from left I think they are; button hole foot,  narrow zipper foot, ordinary foot (?) and the attachment 'thing'..

BTW Acorn,  I've had to do this on my mobile phone. My apple Mac won't let me attach so not sure if there's a compatibility issue? -<

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 21:03:19 PM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 20:59:59 PM »
I think there are plenty of other people using Macs - anybody?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 21:05:40 PM »
Just tried modifying EP39's post and inserting the attachments and it wont let me do it either ...

but no worries EP39, peeps can enlarge them by clicking on the thumbnails.

We'll work on it ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

datcat23

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 21:22:35 PM »
Welcome EP39, I know you will find a wealth of advice on this forum.

I found this instruction on how to easily add piping to a cushion, including how to finish the ends (with photos).

https://www.heytherehome.com/sew-pillow-cover-with-piping-the-easy-way/
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 00:05:59 AM »
I use a Mac, and have no problem adding images. 

I don't upload directly from my phone camera because the images ae so big.  I just send them to the MacBook, take them into 'Photos', crop if I think necesssary and then export to the desktop with a maximum size of 500 pixels either dimension and they will upload to TSP without problem.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

EP39

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 08:11:12 AM »
Thanks for the link...
Here's a photo of the type of cord I've got for the cushion. The cord is shiny and slippy! And when I tried to weave the two ends together (as demonstrated on a YouTube video) the individual cords started fraying. I might just cut it straight and hand stitch the two ends together binding them to stop them fraying  -<

EP39

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 08:15:18 AM »
I'm still struggling to upload attachments on the Mac. I can upload the images ok with my mobile phone so the picture size must be ok.  When I click on 'Choose file' nothing happens - no option to choose a file from a folder. I'm quite computer literate so have tried all the tricks I know. My Mac is quite old though so that may be the problem...  ><

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »
Sorry EP39, Im a technodunce (I dont even own a smartphone just a £10 jobby so I can receive texts and spend my own money!) and do all my computer stuff on an elderly Heath Robinson type laptop.

How did you get the pic of the feet and the cords up?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

EP39

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2021, 08:44:54 AM »
I used to be more tech savvy than I am now Iminei! Mind you, I only changed to an android phone when I lost my beloved fliptop pink Motorola on a beach in Cornwall  0_0 - about 10 years after everyone else. Though now I love it as I look up things on the internet all the time when out and about (identifiying plants in gardens or checking growth rate of shrubs before I buy etc)!

To load the images for my posts I logged onto the forum on my Samsung mobile and uploaded the images from my phone rather than my computer.

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 09:48:48 AM »
To upload a photo you click on attachments and other options' below the box you are typing on.

Then where it says Attach: click on the Browse button.
That opens a browser window on your Mac.

Navigate through it to find where you have the photo stored.  You can't upload drectly from Photos or iPhoto you need to have exported it to another location; I use the desktop.

Select the image you want to attach and click on the open button.
That will close teh finder window and back in TSP you should see the file name beside the Browse button.

If you leave it like that when you post the message it will appear as a small image at teh end of your text, but if you click on Insert Attachment 0 it will insert it in the message at teh point where your curser is.

If you want to add another image you need to click on (more attachments) and go through the process again.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2021, 19:59:33 PM »
Ooh you are making progress! Getting the braids finished off is fiddly but have a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhEzsjPV6rw
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

datcat23

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2021, 23:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the link...
Here's a photo of the type of cord I've got for the cushion. The cord is shiny and slippy! And when I tried to weave the two ends together (as demonstrated on a YouTube video) the individual cords started fraying. I might just cut it straight and hand stitch the two ends together binding them to stop them fraying  -<

When I have used that sort of cording, I have just angled the ends off the edge of the fabric, crossing them over where they start and finish.  You get an unobtrusive crossover effect, and the ends are held within the seam. If its at the bottom of the cushion, its hardly noticeable.

cushion piping by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

EP39

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 11:23:50 AM »
Thanks again for the different tips and tricks!

And thank you for the link to the video Catlar...  :thumbsup:   That's is the same type of cord as mine and it shows clearly how to join the two ends together. Thank goodness mine is a plain cord so it should be a bit easier than working out the different colours! I will need to be very patient though as it looks VERY fiddly and because the cord is shiny it's slippy too.  :S

It's useful to see how she lays it flat and stitches across it to hold the pieces in place - I wouldn't have thought to do that. And also to unpick it from the binding too.

Was caught up with the other things yesterday so haven't made any progress  :|... Heading off to the machine  :vintage: