The Sewing Place

Curly cotton anyone?

Greybird

Curly cotton anyone?
« on: January 29, 2021, 14:22:40 PM »
I am still working my way slowly through the saga of my daughter's curtains, and am trying to hand stitch the bottom corners of the hem. I normally only use polyester thread, but the fabric came (from Just Fabrics) with reels of Gutermann cotton thread. I am assuming all you Dark ladies use cotton  thread for your quilts and wondered if you have come across the same problem I have. The thread is fine in the machine but, if I pull off a length to thread a needle, it comes off in ringlets. Before I've even got the needle into the fabric it's springing back on itself and tying itself in knots! It's driving me potty! I've tried running it through candlewax and soap but nothing seems to help. Can you?!

Efemera

Re: Curly cotton anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 15:36:00 PM »
I’ve just had this problem this afternoon.... give me cheap poly any day!..the damn stuff just kept getting knots in it. Mine was Gutterman too.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 15:38:51 PM »
Have you tried ironing the thread (between sheets of tissue paper) after you have run it through the wax?

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 18:03:13 PM »
No I never thought of that @StitchinTime ! Will give it a go - thank you!

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 18:50:40 PM »
It's possibly the way it comes off the reel. If it is wound diagonally it should come off from the top, the way it would on most machines.  There is proper hand sewing thread.  I have not used it but that probably won't curl. 

You could try damping down before ironing. Hope this helps. :)
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 18:58:15 PM »
I’ve not actually had a problem with Gutermann but for hand sewing always wax and iron. 

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 19:15:18 PM »
Ordinary cotton Gutermann thread should be fine - I haven't had any problems with it. BUT I have used Gutermann cotton quilting thread and that was very springy. Didn't try that again!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 07:16:54 AM »
I greatly prefer using cotton thread over poly, especially for any hand stitching. I  would not use it for curtains that will be getting any direct sun. The thread breaks down from it.

That said I use a thread conditioner always when hand stitching. Or waxing, best with ironing after. Or you can love your thread, something Natalie Chanin of Alabama Chanin does. Thread your needle and holding at the needle end pull your index finger and thumb along the two threads multiple times until they relax and lay together.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 08:30:59 AM »
   @BrendaP 
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 08:41:11 AM »
Ironing thread..... that isn’t going to happen!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »
I've never had a problem like that with Gütermann thread - but they do make a lot of different cotton threads inlcuding Cotton (sizes 12, 30),  Natural cotton (sizes 40. 50 and 60),  Quilting, Jeans and Basting thread.

@Greybird   What exactly is printed on the spool?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
@BrendaP it says Gutermann CA02776 100% cotton C Ne 5u and the yardage. The spool is a light orangey colour.

I was stuck with this but I shall make a point of avoiding it in future!

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 11:05:46 AM »
@BrendaP it says Gutermann CA02776 100% cotton C Ne 5u and the yardage. The spool is a light orangey colour.

@Greybird
Should be C Ne 50  (not 5u)

It's this one
https://consumer.guetermann.com/en/product-finder/natural-cotton-c-ne-50
which is the most readily available Gütermann cotton.  I have a couple of spools of it in front of me and neither of them are very curly or springy coming off the spool.  I can only assume that it's something to do with the particular dye in the spool that you have.

After you thread your needle get the two ends level then pinch the thread and slide your fingers down the length several times.  That will help smoosh out a bit of the twist in the thread.

The only other thing is that this, and almost every other thread manufactured for use on sewing machines is Z-twisted - because of the direction in which the machine bobbin turns.  Most threads made for hand embroidery are S-twisted because it suits the way that most right handed people hand sew; the S-twists are less likely to twist around and get knotted than the Z-twists are.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 11:57:20 AM »
I never have any problems with it
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
Thank you @BrendaP - you can always be counted on for a comprehensive answer! It could be 50 and part of it's rubbed off (could have been me hurling it across the room!). Thank heavens I have reached the point where I am putting the heading tape on and I can soon bury the rest of this stuff in a deep dark hole! In future I shall shall buy my own thread - what am I saying - I hope there won't be many more curtains to make!