The Sewing Place

Curly cotton anyone?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Curly cotton anyone?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 12:47:10 PM »
@Greybird i don’t think this should rub off a Gutermann reel.  I’m assuming it is genuine? 
Only asking because I know there are reels of fake stuff being sold on Amazon

Greybird

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »
@Ohsewsimple it does look as if it might have rubbed off. I would assume it's the genuine stuff as it was sent by Just Fabrics with the fabric. I should think they buy in bulk from the manufacturer. Actually I remember when I was working in Harrods, a little lady used to come regularly and fill up the Gutermann thread stand - presumably she was from Gutermann?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 13:05:03 PM »
Ours used to come from Groves and Banks wholesalers.  But I’ve never had the print come off before.
I have seen fakes and the ink does come off of those.  That’s what alerted us once when someone complained their machine wasn’t working.  When we swapped the thread for the real stuff it was fine.  I’m really careful about what I buy from Amazon and the like.  Rather pay more and get the genuine article.  But I would have thought yours should be ok.  Just seems weird.

Celia

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 13:45:40 PM »
I got a large reel of fake white from Amazon at the beginning of the first lockdown, when I complained they refunded and told me to keep the thread, did make me think they knew.  I wouldn’t mind but it wasn’t cheap

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 19:34:59 PM »
@Greybird This is what part used reels should look like.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 08:10:33 AM »
@Greybird for future reference - we've just had 2 pairs of very large curtains made to measure by Just Fabrics and we're very pleased with them.  I usually make my own curtains but these were too big for me to manhandle.

We now live near to Cheltenham so they came out to measure up and then we were able to go and collect them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 15:58:15 PM by sewingj »