The Sewing Place

Looking for fabric...

b15erk

Looking for fabric...
« on: January 30, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »
I'm making Mary Poppins outfits for Theo and Lilya, and I've managed to find most of the fabric I need in my stash.

Two pieces I still need though:  Red tafetta, for Mary's dress, and some Poppins themed lining for Theo's Blazer.

I've looked online, but can't see any available at a reasonable price, and can't tell the taffeta quality from the online pics.

Have any of you any recommendations for either or both of these fabrics please?  I have some time as they are only needed for the summer...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

Re: Looking for fabric...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 14:41:25 PM »
Have you considered crepe backed satin? 

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 14:48:26 PM »
@UttaRetch , I love crepe backed satin, but not sure it's got the structure I need for the band/corselette on the dress.  I've ordered a metre off Ebay, but not sure it will be what I need...

I've been looking at the MP fabric, and found one which was almost reasonable at £10.98 a metre, but the postage - £12.98!! 

I'll keep looking...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 15:02:39 PM »
The postage is more than the cost of the fabric.  :scream:

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 15:14:34 PM »
@UttaRetch , I know, it's scary isn't it!  Especially as they may tack on some tax when it gets here...

I'll keep looking...

Jessie

Sewbusy

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 16:01:26 PM »

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 19:35:54 PM »
Oh no! @Sewbusy , I've only just seen this!   :facepalm: I had just ordered some red taffeta!  Twice the price of this one, and then £2.99 postage!  Might order some anyway, that's a good price...  :boohoo:

Jessie

Sewbusy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 08:52:09 AM »
@b15erk Sorry Jessie, I should have directed it to you and you might have picked it up sooner.

Lesson learned for me.