The Sewing Place

Mary Poppins Costume - Project Log

datcat23

Re: Mary Poppins Costume - Project Log
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 04:57:30 AM »
Hey ho again.  Back to this project.

Despite some award winning procrastination  :facepalm: I got in this morning, and cut out the jacket pieces, outer fabric, lining, interlining for the skirts and interfacing.   

MP jacket by Dani, on Flickr

Thats it ...... Can't lay claim to any more progress. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 05:11:11 AM »
Oh, and I also came across two squares of this old fashioned tapestry style fabric.  I plan to use them, to make a small carpet bag style tote, that she can use with her costume.

tapestry fabric by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 00:41:34 AM »
Yesterdays progress:  I made a start on the Mary Poppins jacket for DD, putting the back and front together, attaching the undercollar and setting in the sleeves.  DD came over for dinner last night, and we did a quick try on,  she is really quite happy with it. 

Mary Poppins  jacket by Dani, on Flickr

I would have got further with the lining, but was distracted with a new sewing table for my sewing room (an old singer treadle base with a flat table surface). 

I also have to recut one of the lining pieces, as I didn't realise there was some brown paper stuck to the fabric.   :facepalm:

Elnnina

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 10:10:53 AM »
That is looking good Dani, and I must mention that I love the fabric you have found for making a bag - that will be just right.  Your daughter is a very lucky lass.

datcat23

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 08:10:27 AM »
Its been a rough month, and I haven't had time to do a lot of sewing.  I am having a week off (sort of a recovery week), so determined that its time I got stuff done. 

I have spent most of the day in the sewing room today, and got the following done:

* sew the collar and facing
* insert the lining
* whip stitch the lining at the sleeve cuffs
* pleat and attach the skirt too the bodice
* whip stitch the lining to the waist seam

Mary Poppins costume by Dani, on Flickr

I am quite pleased with the pleats.

Next is the hem, buttons and button holes.  And then it will be done.

Elnnina

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 10:45:40 AM »
Looking good Dani, this will be beautiful when it is all finished, I am sure your daughter is looking forward to wearing this.  I am impressed with your collar and lapels and the way the sleeves have been set in, and of course the pleats.

realale

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
That's looking really good. I love the pleats on the back. It will look spectacular when it's finished.
So many beers, so little time.

datcat23

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 08:29:33 AM »
Afternoon all.  I have held off finishing the jacket until DD comes over and tries it on. 

Today, I didn't feel like making clothes, so I tackled the carpet bag.  As a reminder, this was two pieces of tapestry fabric, that I found at a garage sale.  They were basically two squares of fabric, hemmed, not even the same size.  I think they might have been the fabric squares used on a lounge chair, to protect the arms of the chair from dirt on the hands. I managed to just fit the front and back of the carpet bag from the tapestry fabric.  I augmented with some heavy damask cotton in a dusty pink, and some quilting cotton from the stash for the lining.  I did put in a couple of slip pockets, but didn't mess about with zip pockets.  I used cotton webbing for the handles and the pull tabs.  The pattern used was the Companion Carpet Bag.   DD has bought herself a bag, so if she doesn't want this one, it won't go to waste.  I plan to use it as a craft bag. 

mary poppins bag by Dani, on Flickr

mary poppins bag by Dani, on Flickr

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 11:26:51 AM »
That is a beautiful jacket @datcat23 !  Love the bag too... <3

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2021, 08:30:28 AM »
That's lovely.  Will she be dancing in that jacket? Looks too good for costume! Can she lift her arms without the body lifting?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

datcat23

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 23:18:13 PM »
That's lovely.  Will she be dancing in that jacket? Looks too good for costume! Can she lift her arms without the body lifting?

No she won't be dancing, she is a teacher, and this costume is for bookweek.  She can lift her arms but of course the jacket will move.  The jacket is pretty much a modern fit, rather than the more tight fitting, vintage fit.  She isn't wearing a corset, so I have to work with her natural shape.  And I will admit, that the fit isn't the best, but she is happy. 

datcat23

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 23:31:56 PM »
Well, its all done bar the petticoat. 

As I said before, as only the second ever suit type jacket I have ever made, the fit is a little bit off, but DD is very happy with her costume, and looking forward to wearing it.

This weekend, I finished the buttonholes  (including having to unpick half of one ....  :rant:  ), attached the back belt.  She came over with the other bits, and we did a full try on.

Poppins costume by Dani, on Flickr

The pleats are a favourite.

Elnnina

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2021, 10:58:29 AM »
Oh well done Dani, that is so typically Mary Poppins.  I particularly love the back look on the jacket, that is beautiful and so neat. I do hope that Bookweek or whatever you call it over there goes well and that she enjoys wearing her special costume.

realale

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2021, 14:57:02 PM »
That looks fabulous. A project well done. I'm sure the children will love seeing her dressed like this.
So many beers, so little time.

Tamnymore

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2021, 15:18:11 PM »
Wow - super jacket and bag - looks very authentic!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde