The Sewing Place

Valentines Special Sewalongathon

StitchinTime

Re: Valentines Special Sewalongathon
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 15:03:34 PM »
I’m missing having anything to sew so I’ve decided to join in with this. I’ve got an idea and all the fabric I need, the only issue is persuading the cat to let me use the kitchen table. Rotary cutters and a fluffy feline are not a good combination.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 10:03:12 AM »
Fabulous!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 15:24:47 PM »
Some progress has been made - the quilt top is pinned ready for quilting. Now I need to decide which foot to use - walking foot or free motion foot.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 08:57:14 AM »
Lovely stuff SIT ... Now any more for any more ??? The end of the month is looming

StitchinTime

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 20:47:54 PM »
StitchInTime’s Entry - Heart Strings Quilt

What is it and for whom (if applicable)
This is a smallish (40” square) quilt for Project Linus. I thought it suitable for this Valentine challenge as it is a heart, it is made with fabrics I love (Liberty designs), it has lots of hearts worked into it, and it will go to someone in need of a quilty hug.

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)
This is based on a common design to make a heart using squares and half square triangles.

Fabrics used, new techniques learned
The strings were cut from FQs of Liberty quilting cotton. I got a FQ bundle when these fabrics first came out several years ago and decided I needed to use them rather than leave them sitting in my stash. The cream background is from low volume fabrics that I been adding to my stash over several months. The backing and binding have been maturing in my stash for a good few years. Some fabrics may be old, but the HSTs were made using string piecing on to a paper backing, a technique I’d not tried before.

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
The quilt is made from 16 string-pieced squares, some a single colour and some two-coloured. I didn’t get my calculations quite right when working out what size strings to cut so I had to insert narrow strings to get full coverage. I quilted it with a free motion meander with heart shaped motifs. The pink thread I used for the heart was too good a match for some of the strings and I struggled to see the quilting in places. The binding is machine stitched as I think it is more suitable for a quilt that hopefully will get lots of use and washing.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:11:20 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 09:15:12 AM »
@RJR_38 @fajita  @anyoneelse

Any more for anymore ??? Please get your creations in by the end of the week...

RJR_38

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 21:51:14 PM »
I’ve only been making bags this month and I know everyone has seen enough of them haha! I’m going to do some more dark side things this month though. I am joining in the swap and will make sure take part in April’s too!