The Sewing Place

Completing a kit

RJR_38

Completing a kit
« on: January 31, 2021, 21:19:55 PM »
Part of my New Years resolution is to use up things I have before buying new so this wkend I completed a bag kit. It was one I bought when a TV channel was closing down and was designed by a designer who I know usually sells good quality products.

This bag kit was not good though. Key parts (zips!) Were missing and not even mentioned on the pattern in the 'what you will need list's I had to guess at what was needed.

In fact the pattern overall was quite poorly written with lots of corrections.

However, it is finished and I will find a home for it. It uses thin cork and pre-made buckle and strap. It is designed to easily change from a cross body to a back pack (which is why I bought it as I liked this idea!)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Celia

Re: Completing a kit
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 09:28:30 AM »
Looks nice, it’s great when you use something you have had for a long time

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 10:44:07 AM »
The pattern may have left something to be desired but you've made a cracking job of it.  When you say cork, is that the main fabric?
Life's too short for ironing.

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 21:16:15 PM »
Yes - proper cork is gorgeous to sew with. It cuts beautifully, sews well, is waterproof etc etc

I have my eye on some pearlised cork but won’t buy it until I see the perfect project. It isn’t cheap but is cheaper than real leather and comes in more finishes etc.

This cork is more highly patterned and is the cheaper, thinner kind (think the difference between quilting weight cotton and thin poly-cotton).