Willing but not always able :)

Nevis5

Re: Hello from Lancashire
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
and from me, too @Queen Bee  !  :toast:

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »
Hello Queen Bee and welcome from another Lancastrian but this one moved to Bedfordshire in 1982 - still there but with my accent intact. I was 30 when we moved.

I don't know what part of the county you're in but my own love of sewing was born there and really blossomed as a young mum sewing during very tough financial days thanks to fantastic remnants from Leyland Market and Chorley Flat Iron in particular. I don't know if they can still compete with the likes of Abakhan and Immanuel's these days, we rarely get up there (last visit more than two years ago) but I always try to wangle a visit to the chapel when we do.

Talking of biscuits... my former work colleagues became very partial to my regular treat of oat biscuits from Leyland Market which they fondly called my Lancashire biscuits. They never really got the taste for Goosnargh cakes (a very local speciality) but I miss those the most. Parched peas too.  :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:41:36 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 16:18:55 PM »
Hello & welcome from me too @Queen Bee

Morgan

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 21:59:40 PM »

...  Leyland Market and Chorley Flat Iron in particular. I don't know if they can still compete with the likes of Abakhan and Immanuel's these days,  . . .

Talking of biscuits... my former work colleagues became very partial to my regular treat of oat biscuits from Leyland Market which they fondly called my Lancashire biscuits. They never really got the taste for Goosnargh cakes (a very local speciality) but I miss those the most. Parched peas too.  :P

@Marniesews Chorley Flat Iron is still there (and hopefully will be again after lockdown) although it is somewhat different with more permanent stalls compared with how it was  20years ago.
There is a useful haberdashery stall for fairly ordinary stuff, thread, buttons, zips, piping and general habby.  Don't recall seeing a fabric stall there for some time.
For a while on Preston outdoor market there were a couple of fabric stalls, and the indoor market had another fabric stall but I suspect they've gone now, although I've not been for about 3 years now. 
It's a place of last resort and very rare visits for me, but Abakhans at Preston is popular with some and there are/were some smaller fabric shops in the New Hall Lane and Ribbleton Lane Area - they were handy for the odd something different when I was working in Fullwood and Preston a while back.

Now I go to Immanuels and Fine Fabrics at Burnley and occasionally Greens at Blackburn (aka Leons).  When it was open to the public we used to call in at Minervas at Darwen on the way back home from Burnely, but now they are on line only I buy very little from them if ever.  Other than when I visit family in London or go to a couple of 'shows' , I tend to buy most other stuff on line. 

As for Goosnargh Cakes - I've not seen or heard of them for a while.   Bit like sugary shortbread with caraway seeds.  Quite nice when fresh.  There was a small bakery in Longridge that sold them and we'd have them occasionally at work, but we tended to prefer cakes from Lathams at Penwortham.   As for parched peas (black peas for those who don't know them)- with or without vinegar, nope, no, not a fan, I never really took to those, even though both my parents loved them. 

Glad to see you've joined us @Queen Bee .  I look forward to hearing about your sewing projects. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:27:39 AM by Morgan »

Queen Bee

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 22:43:19 PM »
Thank you all for being so friendly and making me welcome. Just traced off the sew me something Emelia dress pattern, I have a length of blue linen that I think will make up nicely.(I will get my daughter to show me how to download images) so you will be able to see it
Queen Bee

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 08:08:45 AM »
No need to be scared of The Darkside @Queen Bee  .. there are lots of tutorials both HERE and on the T'Internet .....

or try some of the BOM's, you've three years worth to choose from but I think for a beginner I would go with LAST YEARS its the most coherent and if you follow it right through, you'll be rewarded with a lap quilt in the end!!!!

So come on over, we'll always be there to hold your hand  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 08:42:11 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too, a bit late to the party.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Kenora

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »
I'm late too but a warm welcome from me anyway! :) Do come on over to the Dark side - you'll love it I'm sure. :loveit:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 17:52:42 PM »
Hello from me too.  :toast:

charley

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 20:15:47 PM »
Hello and welcome,  from another newbie.

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2021, 13:37:32 PM »
Hello there, welcome.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !