The Sewing Place

Ideas for saving my shorts?

Doriefish

Ideas for saving my shorts?
« on: February 01, 2021, 15:35:38 PM »
Hello!

I made my first shorts last summer, with waistband and fly and I was super happy with them. I used a lovely soft chambery fabric.

After a few wears, the fabric send to be deteriorating at the back darts - the stitches seem to be straining against the weave of the fabric and I think the back seam will follow   :boohoo:

I would love an opinion on how to fix and also should I have done something different?

I used a size 2 straight stitch and I thought this fabric was strong despite its soft texture. The pinkish line you can see was my dart line

https://pasteboard.co/JMm66zq.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/JMm6NLC.jpg

Thanks!

dolcevita

Re: Ideas for saving my shorts?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 16:19:31 PM »
Soft fabric will often show the first signs of wear on seams that get the most stretch and movement. For your next pair, either put a strip of fusible interfacing along these seams, or sew the seam with cotton tape laid on it so that this can help take the strain.

To save your existing ones, press the back seam flat, apply some strips of fusible or cotton tape (as above) then sew a new seam a few millimetres in from the old one. You can do the same with the darts. This will give them a slightly longer life.

Doriefish

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 16:30:00 PM »
Thanks I will give this a try!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 16:46:20 PM »
Loving the fabric but it does seem quite a loose weave (

then again what the hell do I know??? Scurries back to the Darkside)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Doriefish

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 17:38:00 PM »
Loving the fabric but it does seem quite a loose weave (

then again what the hell do I know??? Scurries back to the Darkside)

It probably wasn't the ideal choice for the garment but it's sooooo comfy!