The Sewing Place

I've just bought a new machine!!!

annieeg

Re: I've just bought a new machine!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 15:54:45 PM »
@Greybird   Really hope you'll be pleased with your new toy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »
@Greybird   Today is Wednesday!   :)

You must be so excited.  :dance:

Enjoy the new addition to your family.  :)

Celia

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 09:06:30 AM »
I think I am excited for you :loveit:

Gernella

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »
I suppose getting a new machine is like a man (usually) getting a new car.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lilian

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 15:47:15 PM »
Lovely machine, I have an Elna 6600, nearly 20 years old now and I still love it. Elna are the same 'stable' as Janome so most of my machine feet fit both machines (I have a Horizon as well).
Enjoy your new toy.

I was looking at the 6600 Quilters touch when I bought mine.  They look like the same body and now seeing yours I wish I had gone for that one.  The knee lift would be so useful.  :)
Willing but not always able :)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 18:46:06 PM »
You don't mess about do you. I have dithering about a new embroidery machine for weeks now.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 23:32:47 PM »
Well it came! About 5 minutes before Tesco's did, so I only had time to take it out of the box and switch it on before I plunged into washing the shopping. By the time I'd done that there wasn't much afternoon left but I did have a little go and it's lovely! Lots of it is exactly the as my Emerald so it didn't feel too unfamiliar. It doesn't have the nice hard drop-over cover, only a thin plastic one so I can see me making one for it. Kneelift @Lilian ? Have I got one? Not sure what it is. I shall spend more time getting to know it tomorrow.

My decision to buy it was quick, I know, but I can't get the other one serviced/repaired in the near future and I really couldn't be without a functioning machine in the meantime. I was lucky enough to have a little money at my disposal and it seemed like a good use for it. When I get the Emerald fixed, if no-one in the family wants it I'll probably sell it.

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 06:57:23 AM »
You'll know if theres a knee lift @Greybird  ... there'll be a hole in the front of the machine towards the base and a gurt big thing in the packaging that fits into it!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 09:59:04 AM »
Ah no - I definitely haven't got one of those!

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 10:08:19 AM »
Yep, that's what mine looks like. I've never used it though.
What are the advantages of a knee lift please? It looks cumbersome to me
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 10:25:49 AM »
If you're quilting and want to move from one point to another you can keep both hands on the fabric and lift the presser foot with your knee.

I was sceptical, but my Megaquilter came with one, and it's very easy and instinctive to use it.  I haven't tried it properly yet though, just in practice...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 10:29:57 AM »
Thanks @Acorn  I cant don't machine quilt. Does anyone use it for piecing?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

KayK

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:03 AM »
Got to love a knee lift - really helps to lift the foot when the needle is down.  However I do get confused sometimes as my old Singer 201K has a knee push mechanism to drive it instead of a foot pedal - confusion sometimes reigns!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:23:55 AM by KayK »
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »
I have a knee lift with my 99k, but don't often use it.  Not because it wouldn't be very useful, I just forget about it...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 12:26:58 PM »
New machine, lovely! That'll lift the spirits.

My new machine is nearly a year old now and it still makes me happy to use it. It has a knee lift, a completely new thing to me. It is very useful when making a batch of face masks.