The Sewing Place

Sewing up knitteds

Ellabella

Sewing up knitteds
« on: February 02, 2021, 14:34:48 PM »
I was having a moan on the Today thread about seeing up jumpers for the GKs. I have three to do.

@Catllar suggests using the sewing machine or the O/L with the blade :scream:

Has anybody else done this?

It would make things a lot quicker and they are garments that will get a lot of use.

I can’t quite get my head round it it seems too easy.

Greybird

Re: Sewing up knitteds
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 14:44:22 PM »
There are a couple of problems. You have to get the bottom edges exactly lined up to start with. Secondly you need to follow the vertical stitch lines - on top and underneath - very carefully. If you cross over at any point it can look like a dogs dinner. Better with a sewing machine than an overlocker. Why not try it on pieces cut from an old jumper to see if you like it.

I find sewing up with mattress stitch is quite nice to do and I've got quite quick at it.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 15:31:15 PM »
There used to be a thing called cut and sew.... it was done on a knitting machine.. just knit the fabric and then treat it like a piece of fabric.. cut your pattern out and sew

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 16:37:04 PM »
Yes I always use cut and sew on neck edges where it's going to be enclosed by a neck band, but I never liked the effect that cutting out and sewing from a length of knitted fabric gave. The seams produced really don't give a nice effect - I thought it cheapened the effect. It works better if the length of fabric is acrylic, knitted in a fine yarn and "killed" with the iron first.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 17:24:07 PM »
I suggested using a machine cos I hate hand sewing up knitteds too. I thought I sad OL without the blade but maybe I had a touch of fat fingers!

If it's important the bottom edges are true then you can use a bit of baste tape  to hold the edges.

You can get round  the dog's dinner at the cross overs by putting the sleeves in first on the flat then sewing down the sleeves and side seams in one pass. I admit it's never going to be couture but it's fine for me!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 21:23:18 PM »
I've become reasonably competent at hand sewing up with what I think is mattress stitch. And I hate hand sewing.
I pop a film or audiobook or something on and off I go. I have no idea on the O/L though I'd be worried about the alignment

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 16:53:56 PM »
Well I’ve managed it!

I did it by hand, using a sort of mattress stitch.

Someone gave me one of those huge balls of Arran yarn and even though I used it for all three I’ve barely made a dent in it.  It may go to my friend who does lots of charity knits.

I’ve done enough knitting for a bit. Tonight’s task is raking out my rug wool and canvas. I need a small rug.    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]