The Sewing Place

Lawn

Mama likes to make

Lawn
« on: May 25, 2017, 21:59:30 PM »
I have 1.5 mrs of a gorgeous lawn that was a bit pricier than I usually would spend but I fell in love with it! I'm completely unable to decide what to do with it though. I was debating making a cowl neck princess seamed top that I've made before and like but something is stopping me. Can anyone help me be brave before the brief Irish summer is gone!!
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Catllar

Re: Lawn
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 22:03:46 PM »
Will the lawn have enough drape for a cowl neck? Just wondering!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Mama likes to make

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 22:05:24 PM »
That's what I'm afraid of maybe I'll wash it and see how it behaves.....
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 22:13:24 PM »
I agree I don't think lawn is drapey enough. Maybe a more conventional shirt or top?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

rowe1311

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
I have a collection of lawn too scared to break into and still undecided what I will make with it all.  It would be great to have pictures of everyone's lawn creations to give us some inspiration. 

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »
I would love to see what everyone has made from their lawn fabrics.  I have several, but no ideas have come to mind yet for what I might make of them.

White cotton lawn though, I use a lot for linings on LilyFrocks. :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
It would work well for big, floaty shirts, just right for the current hot weather.  I've got a couple I made about 30 years ago, now consigned to gardening, but great when it's hot and I don't want a clingy t shirt.
  • Kad likes this
Life's too short for ironing.

Kad

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 14:33:14 PM »
I've made up Simplicity 2365, Butterick 5861 and New Look 6107 all in Liberty Lawn since Xmas.

The first two are, as Ploshkin suggests, big floaty shirts and the last was the cute fitted blouse - all for my DD, so all currently residing in Cambridge so no photos I'm afraid.

Be brave, cut into it, it's only fabric after all. :snip: :snip:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.