The Sewing Place

Hi I'm New

Shabs

Hi I'm New
« on: February 04, 2021, 08:06:59 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am looking for advise.

I am trying to sew my 4 year old a dress and no matter what adjustments I make I have the same issue of bunching around the upper back and armhole.

Any advise please would be appreciated.

Shabs

Efemera

Re: Hi I'm New
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 09:01:05 AM »
Hello there.. I think we may need more details, fabric, style... pictures would be good.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:09:20 AM »
Welcome @Shabs  :drink: :flower:

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 09:33:52 AM »
Hello and welcome @Shabs
Still learning

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 09:55:42 AM »
Hi @Shabs,

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Are you an experienced sewer or new to sewing? Are you following a commercial pattern or just winging it?

A lot more info. would be helpful to enable members to troubleshoot and offer useful suggestions for you. There are so many experienced and knowledgable sewers on here, it’s brilliant.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 11:10:41 AM »
Welcome @Shabs, I do agree with what others have said. If there's any possibility of a picture and a few more details that would help us to be able to help you  :thumbsup:.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 11:13:07 AM »
Hello there @Shabs , and welcome!

Love making children's clothes especially frocks.  If you could take a picture of the problem area, and the pattern you are doing, we will be able to help rather more.

I'm making a dress/costume atm, and I've made a practise garment (toile), because I know my GD has grown since I last sewed for her.  A toile is just a simple garment - no facings, no fancy finishing, just enough that you can make adjustments and transfer the adjustments to your frock.  Use an old sheet, or duvet, you'll be surprised how much fabric there is in them.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 11:14:31 AM »
Welcome to TSP.  I’m sure you’ll get the help you need here.  But definitely need piccies of the problem. 

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 11:52:31 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »
Hello and welcome @Shabs  from me too  :toast:  Are you using a commercial pattern?  Has it told you to gather around the top of the sleeve to help fit it into the armhole?  You will need a small amount of gathering there to help the sleeve mould over your DD's shoulder.   That might be the problem (agree, a  photo would help if possible!) xx

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 13:50:28 PM »
Hi and welcome @Shabs  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

nototie

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 16:12:21 PM »
Welcome @Shabs

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 08:49:15 AM »
Hello & welcome from me too.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 13:10:01 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

charley

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 20:35:50 PM »
A belated welcome from me too, another newbie!