The Sewing Place

Oiling Machines

Acorn

Oiling Machines
« on: February 05, 2021, 10:33:08 AM »
While waiting for my new needles to be delivered I gave my Megaquilter (~identical to the Janome 1600P) a once over.  Cleaned out the bobbin area, oiled, stroked, talked kindly to it etc

I checked the manual (!!!) and was reminded that I'm actually supposed to oil it every day.  Oops.  It also says that I MUST ONLY EVER use MO70 machine oil.  Well I've been using the oil that came with another machine, and it has no label on it.

What is MO70 oil?  Googling does not help at all.  When other people have asked the question they have just been told that they must use sewing machine oil.  Is all sewing machine oil MO70?

The other thing that I discovered is plenty of sites saying that dealers often say that a brand of machine won't need oiling, but they are WRONG.  Well, my Husqvarna Viking Topaz manual says that it will never need oiling.  Presumably the manual is correct?    :[
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

Re: Oiling Machines
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 10:45:22 AM »
I do agree you cannot say a whole brand does not need oiling.  I can think of models  for most brands that do need oiling even though the majority don’t.  Your topaz does not need oiling so don’t worry.

As far as the oil is concerned I have always used good quality sewing machine oil which I make sure I buy from a sewing machine shop.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:57:10 AM »
When I bought my Alfa, the man in Franklins said it needed oiling once a year.
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:01:46 AM »
I always give my machines regular oiling - the Bernina has loads of oiling points!  But, the Pfaff 1475 says it doesn't need oiling.  :rolleyes:  However, I do oil the bobbin race, and the exposed shaft, although I don't do anything invasive...

I'm running low on machine oil, as I can't find the litre bottle I bought before lockdown.  Many years ago, on the old forum, someone (sorry I forget who), said that gun oil is a good substitute, as it is a this oil.

At the end of the day, I work on the principle that some oil, is better than no oil at all, although some thicker oil would tend to go claggy.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 11:43:31 AM »
I can only think that MO denotes Machine Oil and & 70 is the viscosity of the oil. Since sewing machines are not subject to big variations in temperature they require a monograde oil as opposed to cars etc which require a multigrade to cope with start and running temperature. (I went off on one there :\)  Looking at my sewing machine oil pot it's also recommended for use on drills  and guns. If your oil was supplied with another sewing machine @Acorn I'm pretty certain that it will be MO70 if it came from a SM dealer.
As an aside, when I bought my Brother V3; which doesn't require oil I was given some useful info by the dealer regarding servicing.  He told me that some people get their V3s serviced religiously every year regardless of the amount of use, while other people just leave it until they get problems. He said that the needle bar on the V3 is actually hollow and if I put the tiniest smidgeon of oil on it that will be helpful to the running.  Service engineers use a light paste on the needle bar (which DH will no doubt have)

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 12:49:17 PM »
I don't use my 'big' machine very often @Acorn, so I tend to oil it prior to use, it only gets normal sewing machine oil on it though, nothing fancy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 12:53:20 PM »
I wish I could find a machine I don't have to oil. As far as I'm concerned if it's got a part that moves it gets oiled. I must admit I'm a bit heavy handed with the oil and usually have to leave it to drip out for a couple of days before I can use it again. That's partly one reason I've got so many machines (that's what I tell myself anyhow  :laughing:).

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 12:58:11 PM »
As a general rule, too loading bobbin machines don’t need oiling.  Front loaders do. 
Too loading bobbins don’t have metal bobbin cases.  When the machine is serviced it should be stripped, greased and oiled where appropriate by someone who knows what they’re doing. 

BTW, never a good idea to use olive oil. Interesting results after that! :laughing:

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 14:06:05 PM »
OMG don't tell me I have to oil the b****y thing as well??? :faints:
Aha,just checked and I don't :dance:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 14:19:46 PM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:00:46 AM by sewingj »

twopence

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 15:21:16 PM »
@sewingj I have the Janome j3-18 as my machine to take to classes. Like yours it has a front loading bobbin which does need to be oiled.

To get the screws out to remove the needle plate OH has to make me a special screwdriver with a right angled handle to get at the screw under the body of the machine.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 15:42:48 PM »
I don’t think either of these machines need oiling.  There is nothing in either manuals about it.
If they need oiling, a small bottle would come with the machine. 

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 18:17:38 PM »
As a general rule, too loading bobbin machines don’t need oiling.  Front loaders do. 

With the exception of vintage toploaders (singer 66, 99, 201) which have metal bobbin cases.   But then all vintage machines need oiling.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 22:08:38 PM »
With the exception of vintage toploaders (singer 66, 99, 201) which have metal bobbin cases.   But then all vintage machines need oiling.

So right @BrendaP  :thumbsup:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 22:23:20 PM »
If it's a "new" and you received the manual with it instructions on oiling will be there . My circa 2012 Brother is emphatic about not oiling anywhere. It's only a few lines so easily skipped over.

An older machine that needs oiling will have detailed diagrams of the places to oil. Grandmother's Rocketeer, early 60s, devotes two or three pages to oiling and lubricant application as well.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.