The Sewing Place

Boiled wool coat - to line or not to line?

sewmuchmore

Re: Boiled wool coat - to line or not to line?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 17:22:24 PM »
@SkoutSews @Lemon Syllabub you may find one of these quicker than a pin
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 17:47:05 PM »
I made the Stylearc Parker coat from boiled wool and I didn't line it nor did I finish the seams by overlocking or whatever. I love that coat - it turned out really well. I have no trouble getting the sleeves on and off probably because they are quite wide. So it really depends on how fitted the coat is and that one looks fairly fitted. A number of the Stylearc coats are not lined maybe because of all that lovely sunny weather in Oz. I always think that boiled wool gives you permission not to line. But it's one of those things - personal preference.

I'm thinking of doing the Parker coat again in a combination of Abraham Moon tartan and Harris tweed. I'd be tempted to line the sleeves and bodice to the waist seam with that one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 17:53:26 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SkoutSews

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 18:50:38 PM »
@SkoutSews @Lemon Syllabub you may find one of these quicker than a pin

Oooooh, technology!  Thanks for the tip, I feel a shopping trip coming on......

SkoutSews

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 18:54:05 PM »
@Tamnymore  I liked the Parker coat too, but I didn't have enough fabric for that one.  A half-lining is a good idea and I did consider it, but in for a penny, as they say....also I thought the full lining would be better at preventing seating.

Moon tartan and Harris tweed sounds lovely.

grannysyb

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 11:22:36 AM »
I've made Vogue 8933 in boiled wool,  and not lined it, doesn't stick too much in the arms. I've also made it in double faced wool where I did line the sleeves as it was a denser fabric,  the boiled wool had more stretch.

SkoutSews

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 12:17:32 PM »
Another nice pattern, @grannysyb

I did wonder if stretch would be an issue, though my fabric does not have much stretch. Guess I'll find out eventually  :rolleyes:

Ouryve

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 23:43:37 PM »
Without a lining, it's a cardi.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Esme866

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2021, 02:55:56 AM »
@sewmuchmore @SkoutSews @Lemon Syllabub

I ordered one of these:

https://www.wawak.com/Cutting-Measuring/Patterns-Supplies/needle-point-tracing-wheel/?sku=CUT17

just before I realized I never use tracing paper for marking anymore. Then realized the needle points  on this wheel are excellent for transferring patterns.

I line pretty much everything made of wool - no matter what. Plus if it is too scratchy (made from too many cheaper short fibers) I don't buy it at all. I'm allergic to lanolin and really cheap wool is like wearing something that is constantly injecting an allergen into my skin.

SkoutSews

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »
The coat was finished just in time for the cool spring and is back in use now. I didn't line it in the end and I'm happy with the result. To be more accurate, the pockets are lined, though the rest of the coat isn't! I made the 'no lining' decision after I'd done the pockets  :rolleyes: I'm hoping the lining will help keep the pockets from stretching out of shape.

It's not too scratchy as there's always a clothing layer between fabric and skin. The unlined sleeves are wide enough that there's no difficulty putting the coat on. As for warmth, it's a between-seasons coat and is warm enough for that. It's definitely more of a coat, rather than a cardi/'coatigan'.