The Sewing Place

Is Swedish tracing paper worth it?

Curious Gem

Is Swedish tracing paper worth it?
« on: February 06, 2021, 14:46:42 PM »
Hi all. I'd love to know what seasoned sewists think of Swedish tracing paper. Is it worth the extra cost?

Efemera

Re: Is Swedish tracing paper worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 15:03:44 PM »
I’ve never used it or felt the need... I trace my patterns using Burda tracing paper and make a toile from anything that’s to hand.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 15:23:46 PM »
I bought some last year when my existing 'paper' was about gone, it was more like a tight mesh with  dots on.  This is more like paper with extra strength, in fact when I got a sample I though it was the same as my old stuff.  So far unused but looks useful.  I don't think I would go back to proper paper like I have had in the past.

There was more than enough for me, so I divided in half for a forum member.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 15:51:06 PM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:07:23 AM by sewingj »

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 18:39:25 PM »
Swedish tracing paper is better than the brittle tracing paper I formerly used and, in fact, I bought two 10 meter rolls for less. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 18:58:55 PM »
It depends on you. If you want to use the pattern to do a little adjustment before cutting the fabric or you reuse patterns a lot then absolutely. I don't and I've found medical exam table paper on the rolls holds up well enough for me. I can still reuse a pattern a few times without problems.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
I keep hearing about medical exam table paper from you Americans, but haven't found it over here.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 12:12:41 PM »
I keep hearing about medical exam table paper from you Americans, but haven't found it over here.

:scream: What do they put on the exam table for sanitation and cleanliness then? I  even got a paper pillowslip when the nurse took me back to lie down after my vaccination reaction Thursday. I remember thinking those would be handy at the time.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 12:22:55 PM »
The only stuff I've ever had rolled onto a medical exam table is more akin to kitchen paper for wiping up spills. Wouldn't like to try and trace with it!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 13:19:58 PM »
I use medical exam paper for tracing, though it's definitely not like the stuff that's used on exam beds here.  It's excellent for pattern tracing.  I will try to find out where I bought it.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 13:33:17 PM by coffeeandcake »

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 16:27:39 PM »
I searched on Amazon.com for medical table exam paper.  None of it looks translucent enough for tracing.

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 19:41:07 PM »
I read on one of the US forums ages ago that there are two distinct types of medical exam paper sold there and that only one of them is suitable for pattern tracing. Of course I can't remember the details now  :rolleyes: but I do know that when I searched for it in the UK I could only find the non-recommended one on sale.

I did get hold of some stuff last year, however, that was sold for use on exam beds/ beautician's couches etc made from a sandwich of SMS polyester fibres (Spun Bond/Melt Blown/Spun Bond) - coincidentally the sort of thing that is used inside medical masks. It's quite soft, fine and very lightweight, nevertheless, I thought I'd give that a go for tracing dolls clothes patterns and it has both traced and sewed up remarkably well. I'll probably continue to use my spot and cross paper for tracing and keeping patterns but I may well cut them out in the SMS poly for fitting purposes and then transfer adjustment back to the traced one.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 00:18:16 AM »
It comes smooth and crepe. Crepe seems to be what you have available. We use the smooth in most medical offices and for tracing. I've only seen the crepe once or twice. It comes in several widths.

The smooth is calendared on one side, fancy paper talk for being run through very smooth rollers for a smooth surface. The smooth is almost polished like it's coated on one side. You use that side up.

I assure you all that it is incredibly translucent. Lay it on a normal page of printed text and you'll have no trouble reading the text. It's a bit like gift wrap tissue but with better body and durability.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 13:12:17 PM »
I've gone through my Amazon account and discovered that I bought it from Amazon.com. If you search Medical exam paper roll on the .com site it's the Diagnostics Direct brand.  I definitely didn't pay for shipping though.  It's currently showing as $17.99 for the product + $48 for shipping!