The Sewing Place

Advice on sewing stretch velvet

Lemon Syllabub

Advice on sewing stretch velvet
« on: February 07, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
She wore blue velvet… bluer than velvet was the night. 
:dance: :dance: :dance:  (I do hope this forum has a music licence)

I wasn’t sure whether to post this here or in ‘Fun with Fabric’…but as I’ve a feeling this fabric mightn’t be fun….

Back in September I bought a length of blue stretch velvet….with not a thought that at that point I hadn’t so much as threaded a machine in aeons let alone used one to sew a garment…but hey ho.. Reach for the stars and all that….

I’ve been reading up on how to sew said slinky beastie… cut it out right side facing down in a single layer, use tissue to help to stabilise when sewing, use a small stitch,use a light pressure on the presser foot, use fusible hem tape, avoid top stitching, avoid buttonholes & zips….  :faints:

Any other suggestions, tips & tricks would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to avoid a reinactment of 'charmeuse-gate'.  :facepalm:

Silver Rose

Re: Advice on sewing stretch velvet
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 11:02:31 AM »
Can't advise you @Lemon Syllabub I'm afraid, I've never been brave enough but I am sure the many experts here will come to your aid. You are certainly forging ahead, good luck.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »
My only advice would be 'don't' but that's not helpful is it   :)

The only thing I can say is try out the stitching on scraps until youvare confident handling it.  I have an inkling someone had a thread in here recently about velvet not sure if it was stretch.
Life's too short for ironing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 11:20:16 AM »
She wore blue velvet… bluer than velvet was the night. 
:dance: :dance: :dance:  (I do hope this forum has a music licence)

No but I'm quite sure we have a liquor license.  :gin:  :toast:  :laughing:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
My only advice would be 'don't' but that's not helpful is it   :)

@Ploshkin To be honest, that's probably the advice I'd give myself, but it's looking up at me and it's soo pretty and sooo soft.
Perhaps I need to stop stroking fabric and buy a cat?  :meow:

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 11:29:07 AM »
No but I'm quite sure we have a liquor license.  :gin:  :toast:  :laughing:

@Renegade Sewist I blummin well hope so, unless I'm taking my gin and I'm not coming back!  :boohoo:
                                                :gin:

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
@Ploshkin my thread was about heavy velvet for soft furnishing and upholstery and it was bonded onto a backing fabric - I don't think my experience with that will help @Lemon Syllabub . I think there might have been another thread but can't remember what it was.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 11:41:36 AM »
I've used it a lot in costumes . It is the devil's fabric. My two pieces of advice?

1) Don't

2) If you really want to. Pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin. In addition to all the other stuff you have been advised to do. Avoid pressing  if you can.  Have much gin to hand.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
@Catllar Now you've really scared me.  :scream:

I've seen the fab photos you post. You're a whizz with the old stretch fabric and if you're saying it's nasty perhaps I should just put it back in the cupboard & step away quietly.....

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
I think it was @UttaRetch who had problems with a stretch velvet dressing gowm.

An overlocker is my advice for sewing said fabric, but if not use a narrow zig-zag and finish the seam allowances together with an overcast stitch as it will want to roll.  Oh, and have generous hems to minimise the tendency to roll up.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »
Did @UttaRetch sew with stretch velour recently? I know she got quite cross with it ;)
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 12:16:29 PM »
I did three tops last winter (or maybe the one before...) with machine embroidery on them too.

Me being me, I just whacked 'em through the overlocker  0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »
I’ve worked with it before but I use an overlocker as well and it does away with most of the angst. 
Makes one unholy mess of the machine and surrounding area with all the fluff!   ;)

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
I did have problems with stretch velour - lining up the edges and sewing - but @Catllar has refused point blank to work with velvet.

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
I think a lot depends on the type of velvet.  The last top I made went together OK I think .  I did use a walking foot and tacked (basted) all the seams as well as double pinning them.  It is a bit of a beast though - if you get the really stretchy stuff it will probably drive you potty.   :headbang:  Sorry!  x