The Sewing Place

Advice on sewing stretch velvet

Catllar

Re: Advice on sewing stretch velvet
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 12:39:54 PM »
Yep @UttaRetch  is right  - I have recently turned down a job that wanted velvet. Life is too short and there are other lovely fabrics that play nicely. Velvet is a bitch. But don't let that put you off! :devil:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 12:46:49 PM »

Me being me, I just whacked 'em through the overlocker  0_0

I like your style.  :thumbsup:

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »
Velvet is a bitch.

So that'll be another fabric for my naughty pile.

Catllar

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 14:38:33 PM »
No, give it a go but try on something small first, I dunno - a  hair scrunchy or something. You might be a natural at working with it.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Celia

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 14:55:44 PM »
I don’t mind real cotton velvet but stretch with no overlocker :scream: :scream:

The worse one I did was a stretch Devore velvet and I wanted to wear it that night >...........

Advice.     Buy an overlocker :devil:

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 15:07:06 PM »
I do remember years ago I had some lovely velvet for a dress.  As I remember I had no problems at all, lately with some cotton velvet, again no problems, stretch velvet not had but since my machine has IDT I think it would be fine, won't it  :angel:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 16:16:53 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, an overlocker is not necessary any more than is a cover stitch.  Those are machines that people like to have, but not for me.

dolcevita

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2021, 16:28:12 PM »
-Go with the narrow zigzag stitch.
-Have intermittent pins at about 15cm intervals and as you sew it, gently tension the fabric between what's just gone through the feed dogs to the next pin. This helps guard against one layer of fabric creeping along the other.
-If you have a walking foot, that helps enormously.
-Don't have your presser foot pressure too high, either, as this can make the fabric creep worse.
-If some of the seams are curling horribly and your fabric is washable, spray the edges with spray starch.
-Test launder and press a sample first to see how much you can abuse your fabric before committing to any method of bending it to your will.
-Don't be scared of it until you've tried. It's only fabric.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 16:30:21 PM »
I wouldn't be without my overlocker or coverstitcher.  They may not be strictly necessary, but they make sewing things like stretch velvet an absolute doddle.  0_0

One could argue that any sewing machine isn't necessary, you could sew anything by hand.

Why struggle when there's a machine that will do a great job?

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2021, 16:34:29 PM »
I can't be bothered with a machine that I can't see to lace up or control.  Don't need that sort of crap in my life.

Gernella

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2021, 18:49:03 PM »
I can't see to lace up or control. 

Lace up? @UttaRetch
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

charley

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2021, 21:18:46 PM »
I made a reversible cape type thing before Christmas, using stretch velvet type fabric. I did read about potential problems before starting. I used a narrow zig zag, and a white foot for ?sticky fabric, not a regular foot anyway. It turned out ok, I was pleased with it. This is a photo of it on the floor; two colours of fabric.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2021, 21:38:54 PM »
I’m with @Bodgeitandscarper i couldn’t do without my overlocker or Coverstitch.  But I make all my clothes and they make it so much quicker and professional looking.  Threading is a doddle on mine and very quick.  Why struggle if you don’t need to?

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2021, 22:58:03 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, an overlocker is not necessary any more than is a cover stitch.  Those are machines that people like to have, but not for me.

That's true of all sewing machines.  You CAN sew anything with just a hand held needle, but wouldn't it take a lot of time and skill!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2021, 09:29:54 AM »
I'm with @Bodgeitandscarper . I love my overlocker (and coverstitch). Don't worry too much about it, go for it!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.