The Sewing Place

Advice on sewing stretch velvet

Lemon Syllabub

Re: Advice on sewing stretch velvet
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 18:19:05 PM »
Thank you so much for all your help and advice. I’m going to put my big girl pants on and give it a try.  :thumbsup:

I’ve spent today faffing about with pattern pieces. I’ve just cut out some fabric with a lot of give in it for a wearable toile & if I can get the fit right then I’ll attempt to remake it in my ‘blue velvet.’
(No, I’m not singing! :dance:)

It’s really interesting reading people’s thoughts on whether or not to use which machine. One of the things I like about sewing is there are so many different ways to do things and people find their own preferences. If all goes to plan then I intend to do quite a bit of hand stitching in the construction of my ‘blue velvet’ (still not singing,  :dance: Honest), top. If I decide I like making clothes with stretchy fabrics then I can definitely see me investing in some machinery!

At the end of the day I think it’s whatever makes you happy.  And I’m all for people being happy.  :)

Catllar

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2021, 13:02:25 PM »
You ask a question of a group of people and you'll get different answers! At the end of the day, yes, do what makes you happy. Good luck with your project.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BriarRose

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 21:29:36 PM »
My two cents worth:

Cut in a single layer.

Pin seams together.

Hand baste seams, then remove pins.

Make sure it fits.

Sew carefully.

I made my daughter-in-laws dress of stretch crushed velvet and it turned out beautifully. People have especially admired the beautiful lettuce-edged hem. It is beautiful and I'm pleased with it. It was also unintentional.  :laughing:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 16:47:30 PM »
She wore blue velvet  :dance: :dance: :dance:(yes I am singing… apologies to those of you with a delicate disposition )

Quick update. After all your fab advice. I finally sewed a relaxed fit tie-neck blouse. Super cosy layered over an M&S heatgen polo neck base layer (Yes I know, thermal underwear how glamorous!)

The slinky fabric beastie was more well behave than I had expected. I pinned it mercilessly and basted it within an inch of its life, only used a sewing machine on the main construction seams and hand stitched everything else!  :thumbsup:

So final thoughts. Would I sew with stretch velvet again?   
It’s a yes from me.  :dance: