The Sewing Place

Sewing edge before quilting

Butterfly

Sewing edge before quilting
« on: February 07, 2021, 17:11:25 PM »
Once you have put your fabric, wadding and backing together and pinned it, do you sew around the edge of your quilt to anchor it before doing the actual quilting?
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Acorn

Re: Sewing edge before quilting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 17:28:19 PM »
I don't - I'd be concerned that the edges might need to creep a bit and the stitching around the edge might complicate things.  I use temporary spray adhesive and bent safety pins.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 17:56:30 PM »
I agree with @Acorn , though I seldom use the 505 spray (don't like the fumes) but I do make sure that there are plenty of pins.  You should not be able to lay your hand down flat without touching at least one pin.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 18:04:19 PM »
@Butterfly - no, I don’t sew around the edges.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 18:16:18 PM »
No, I would be concerned about creepage. I use 505 spray and a sprinkling of quilters safety pins
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 21:12:23 PM »
Generally you need to sew out from the middle in a star shape using a completely different colour of thread and the maximum stitch length to ease removal

AFTER quilting a lot of people sew round the whole quilt as there are often seams that can be coming undone.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:09:00 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 21:41:03 PM »
Although I spray baste my sandwich I put safety pins all round the edges.  Once the quilting is done and I've squared up the quilt I machine 1/4” from the edge all round before attaching the binding.
Life's too short for ironing.

charley

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 21:54:06 PM »
I pin baste, and sometimes use 505, and I do sew around the outside edge about 1/4 inch, but only when I have finished quilting.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 00:02:00 AM »
No, don't sew the perimeter until the quilting is done. Your layers will stretch or creep somewhere, guaranteed.

Stitch a scant quarter inch around the perimeter before you bind but first be sure to square up and trim the sandwich before that. Results will be consistently good if you do that.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »
No... I glue it together, quilt then bind. The only time I would sew around the edge is if I’m having it longarm quilted... most longarm quilters will ask you to do this.

Butterfly

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 12:19:13 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, you've confirmed what I've seen in other videos and read. I'm not sure if it was just because it was a table runner that was being quilted, and obviously smaller, but the video I was watching said to sew 1/8th" all around the edge. The video was by Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics an experienced quilter so I was surprised, in fact I watched the video several times to make sure I wasn't mistaken lol.
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 18:49:09 PM »
You sew an 1/8th" from the edge because you want the line of stitching hidden by the binding ...
but then these are people who play by the rules and dont bind their quilts with 6" binding turned to the front!!!!  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 05:55:49 AM »
Generally you need to sew out from the middle in a star shape using a completely different colour of thread and the maximum stitch length to ease removal

If I thread baste Im, I use dissolving thread so I don't have to remove it...it just washes out with the first wash.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!