The Sewing Place

Pfaff Buttonholes for different machines

Gernella

Pfaff Buttonholes for different machines
« on: February 08, 2021, 18:43:19 PM »
Before I get too old I would like to buy another main sewing machine.  The one I have, a Pfaff Expression works fine, always has done, other than the basting stitch, which has never worked, even after a 'repair'.  So I've been looking and more or less decided on the new Ambition series 610, 620 and 630.  Sometime this year I though, not in a hurry.

Unfortunately a fly in the ointment has appeared.  None of them have sensomatic buttonholes, where you actually plug into the machine. This afternoon I tried them out on my little Passport 3 which will have the same type and then did one on my Expression. I didn't really need to compare, I could tell by looking, nothing wrong  with the Passport's just that they are not filled in the same, not as many stitches filling in.

Now for somebody who only sews clothes, with just an occasional foray into quilting, it will be a Quantam leap to the Expression 710.  Not so much the leap in machine, that I can handle, but the leap in price. 

It's not as if I do buttonholes on every garment, but they are just so good when they are done.  I had considered looking for the old Expression 3.2/4.2 but it would be a used machine with no guarantee.

So there I dither, save my pennies and push the boat out or go for second best  and have a little grumble every time I do the odd  set of buttonholes.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SingingSinger

Re: Pfaff Buttonholes for different machines
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 20:51:53 PM »
I've got a new (to me) Pfaff Ambition 620 but haven't tried buttonholes yet. What's a sensomatic buttonhole?
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 21:07:19 PM »
I had the QE4 and would have got the QE710 but I didn’t like the colour...I got the QE720 instead.
If you like purple I’d go with the QE710.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 22:34:36 PM »
Thanks @Efemera I've been ruminating all night and decided, I'm going with the 710 I like purple, so the Expression is going up for sale.  :thumbsup:
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
I've got a new (to me) Pfaff Ambition 620 but haven't tried buttonholes yet. What's a sensomatic buttonhole?

Along with the foot, there is a small cable that you attach to your machine @SingingSinger .  You don't need the button, you decide how big it should be.  My first Janome had the put your button in and trading up from hand made I thought it was fabulous.  When I got the Expression, I was disappointed that it didn't use the same system, until I used it and saw the difference.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 13:06:10 PM »
I've got the Pfaff QE 4.2 which has a sensormatic buttonhole foot.  It's more bother than it's worth in my opinion. It usually takes me ages to attach the cable into the machine because it's awkwardly placed and that's after measuring the diameter of a button and entering the measurement into the machine.  It's so much easier to stick a button into the back of a foot and just sew. 

WendyW

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 13:10:57 PM »
As much as I have loved my Pfaffs, neither does decent buttonholes. Had a Creative 1467, now have a QE4.2. Had to make large buttonholes this week in a wool coat and did them as a 4-step using a satin stitch.  I've been watching sales sites for a local sale of an older Viking similar to what I had years ago. THAT machine did gorgeous 4-step buttonholes.

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 13:51:12 PM »
I had a Pfaff 1473 and I never managed to produce even halfway decent buttonholes.  I then bought a Bernina 630 which does beautiful buttonholes.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 15:09:04 PM »
I had a Pfaff 1473 and I never managed to produce even halfway decent buttonholes.  I then bought a Bernina 630 which does beautiful buttonholes.

Pfaff 2134 makes lovely buttonholes, once you enter in the button dimension. 

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 16:36:59 PM »
  It's so much easier to stick a button into the back of a foot and just sew.

It is when you are used to it @coffeeandcake  I struggled  with the Passport until I got the hang of it.  I was working from memory for the Janome when you did just that, the Pfaff, you bring a slider down which tells the machine it's  guide limits, I don't remember that before.  There again it helps if you get the manual out before you start, which I didn't.

Sometimes your fabric dictates a larger hole than specified for your button, so then easier to add a mm or  two on.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 17:19:16 PM »
It is when you are used to it @coffeeandcake 
Sometimes your fabric dictates a larger hole than specified for your button, so then easier to add a mm or  two on.

That's a good point @Gernella  :)

SingingSinger

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 17:44:45 PM »
Along with the foot, there is a small cable that you attach to your machine @SingingSinger .  You don't need the button, you decide how big it should be.  My first Janome had the put your button in and trading up from hand made I thought it was fabulous.  When I got the Expression, I was disappointed that it didn't use the same system, until I used it and saw the difference.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation @Gernella . I don't do many button holes but I'll have to experiment with my machines to look at the difference. My instinct would be to use the buttonhole attachment on my Singer 201k because it's a joy to watch!  :vintage:
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 19:20:38 PM »
Actually I was telling DH what I was going to do, soften the ground a bit, he thought I was nuts, I had to remind him how much his tractor cost, not to mention the car.  In the end I told him to give me the money for the 620 and I'll not buy the Expression.

I'm waiting  :laughing:

SingingSinger

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 20:41:03 PM »
I've now tried the buttonhole on my Pfaff compared to my Brother. They both look pretty neat to me but I haven't got a sensormatic version to compare with.

BTW I failed spectacularly with my Singer buttonholer  but I've not used the machine or the attachment for so long!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 20:52:07 PM by SingingSinger »