The Sewing Place

Lining a wool/cashmere cloak?

nototie

Lining a wool/cashmere cloak?
« on: February 08, 2021, 19:48:35 PM »
I am making a cloak/cape/cardigan thing inspired by Anna's traveling cloak from Frozen II (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/47/f7/b2/47f7b2d49084bfffcca0795ab5525937.jpg). For the outer layer, I have a lovely light gray wool cashmere blend. I am thinking of lining it with a maple-colored loosely woven cotton fabric.

I wasn't going to use a nylon or polyester lining because the cloak has no sleeves and so the friction aspect wasn't a concern for me. I also want to avoid using a traditional nylon/polyester coat lining if possible.

I am wondering if using the cotton as the lining will make the cloak stick to my clothes. I'd like to avoid that if possible. At the moment, there are two options that I can think of—don't line the cloak or line it with the cotton. If I have to, I'll line it with a traditional polyester lining, but ideally I'd like to avoid that.

What do others think is the best option/other ideas so that the cloak won't stick to whatever I wear under it?

Surest1tch

Re: Lining a wool/cashmere cloak?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 19:57:58 PM »
If money isn't an issue have you thought about silk or a silk mix?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
Silk would be lovely.  Or how about this?   This is what I usually use.
https://www.theliningcompany.co.uk/linings/taffeta-linings/venezia-triacetate-polyamide/

nototie

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 23:47:38 PM »
@Ohsewsimple I'll be sure to check it out. Thank you for the advice.

@Surest1tch If I could find a more affordable silk/silk mix, I'd think about it, but it doesn't get too cold where I live and I'm not sure I want to make this cloak any warmer. Thank you for the advice, though.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 11:03:31 AM »
@nototie a silk lining won’t make it warmer.  A silk twill or crepe de chine would be lovely.  Depending on what you can afford obviously.  But if you are already using cashmere it probably deserves something nice. 
https://beckfordsilk.co.uk/ Have a nice selection and are very helpful. 

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
What about a lightweight silk/cotton mix?  I have some in the stash which is so light and beautiful... I'm waiting for a special summer project to show it off.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 11:33:40 AM »
I think I'd be wanting something slippery on the inside, so it swishes nicely.

Clareew

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 21:24:30 PM »
One thing to be aware of is that a slippery lining will make it slip off your shoulders.  A silk might give you the best of both worlds.

nototie

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 03:16:38 AM »
Thank you so much for your advice!

@Ohsewsimple I think I'd heard once that silk traps heat well, but I could be mistaken. I'll be sure to look at those fabrics.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 11:23:47 AM »
@nototie it’s warm in winter and cool in summer.  It’s wonderful to out on when it’s hot.
But a thin layer of silk isn’t going to make you hot! 

Sewbusy

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 08:30:22 AM »
@nototie I have some Thai 2ply silk which I recently used to line a faux suede jacket.  100cms wide so may not be wide enough  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   without joining.  I have quite a few metres if it's of interest.                           
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:39:43 AM by Sewbusy »