The Sewing Place

Ikea Skarsta table anyone?

sewingj

Ikea Skarsta table anyone?
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:59:07 AM »
When our loft conversion is finished I am planning to sew up there.  The room will have to also function as a guest bedroom but I should be able to fit in a large (160x80) Ikea Skarsta table.  It`s the one that you adjust the height manually.
 I will need it both for cutting out and sewing on and I`m wondering how stable it is?
 I would also want to pull it away from the wall when cutting out.  Husband reckons it would be easy to fix casters.  Any thoughts?
Attempting to be a Tailor of Gloucester

Kad

Re: Ikea Skarsta table anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
@sewingj
I have the smaller Skarsta table and now that I've reoccupied the spare room, I'm going to get the larger one too. I'll use the smaller one for my embroidery machine and the other for the sewing machine and overlocker. I've had no problems with stability, (DH says that I sew like a thing possessed wrt speed  :angel:) and provided that the table top is cleared before moving, it'll move easily enough across carpet in order to use as a cutting table.
Not so much patchwork as personal dressmaker to DD

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »
@Kad thanks, that's very helpful. Is yours all white? The one that is available now has a fawn top. I think it would be ok but the photo isn't very clear

Kad

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 13:51:06 PM »
@sewingj
The current table has a white top upon white legs, the larger table that I would like is unavailable in this combination atm, but I don't think that the beige top would cause any problems esp. I've been sewing at the dining room table for the past 4 1/2 years and that's been ok. I'd order the table combination when it becomes available and get it delivered if it weren't for the £40 delivery charge  :scream: So I'm waiting for the store to open  :'(
Not so much patchwork as personal dressmaker to DD

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 14:02:17 PM »
Yes, the delivery charge is off putting but we don't have a store nearby. I'm waiting a while to order as we might need some other things too when the loft conversion is finished

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 11:02:57 AM »
I have the Bekant... best thing I’ve ever bought. I use it to cut out  and to sew..I put the big Pfaff and the Babylock overlocker on it at the same time ... no problems with stability.

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 10:36:00 AM »
I took a look at the Skarsta.  It doesn't fit my space, but I can see what a person would like. It comes in a couple of sizes and looks easy to set to just the height you want.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 20:53:35 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.