The Sewing Place

Pfaff QE4 2 Scissors not cutting ....

annieeg

Pfaff QE4 2 Scissors not cutting ....
« on: February 10, 2021, 12:41:03 PM »
I've just received my "new to me" QE4.2 which I bought privately from a seller on FB.  It came as being serviced June 2020 but not used since.  However, the seller very kindly set it up and sent video of it working so I was reassured.  However, when I've tried it (about 10 different stitch choices) to check it runs after shipping, the scissors don't cut the bobbin thread.  I asked the seller if it had been a problem previously and she said when she did the test run for the video she  used regular scissors to cut the thread :'(   Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to ask specifically about the scissor function.
As this was a private sale and I did pay by bank transfer I have no comeback. 
Anyway, it is what it is, so I'm wondering whether anyone familiar with this machine know a fix for this bobbin cutter issue?
Annie

Lachica

Re: Pfaff QE4 2 Scissors not cutting ....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 13:34:36 PM »
My Creative 3 doesn't cut properly when there's a bit of thread jammed in the cutting mechanism. I can, however, hear it trying - I assume you can't hear yours trying? Although you paid by BACS and are therefore not covered by PayPal, you could still try claiming a bit of a refund from the seller. The service should surely have included the cutter mechanism.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 14:01:10 PM »
@annieeg try giving the cutting blade a good clean with a little brush (the sort that often comes with machines).  I find that helps when mine stops cutting the bobbin thread.  You'll need to remove the needle plate to do this and be careful as the blade is quite sharp.  I hope you enjoy your new machine :)

Celia

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 14:01:41 PM »
The cutting mechanism can become dislodged on these machines and it might just be a case of putting it back in place, a bit difficult to explain by message maybe see if you can find anything on YouTube.
It’s often the hooky bit that holds the thread that is out of place rather than the knife.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 14:12:57 PM »
Could be several things.  Either it’s come loose, it’s got lint etc trapped and won’t cut.  Or it needs changing as it’s blunt.  I wonder why the seller used scissors in the video?   :thinking:   I know there are people that don’t like using the scissors function anyway.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 15:54:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:  I've found some info on YT explaining how to replace the cutting blade if it comes to that.  In the meantime, I'll do some brushing, cleaning as suggested and see if that helps. 

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 16:59:02 PM »
The cutting is crap on the Pfaffs, even on my new 720...that’s the only bug bear I have with them... you can adjust it yourself.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 17:25:57 PM »
@annieeg this shows you how to replace/clean. I change my blade every couple of months and buy them from Coulsew on eBay, they are only the price of a couple pkts of needles.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 19:11:34 PM »
Nice machine @annieeg.  I've got scissors on my new Passport, only I keep using my little snip scissors. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 12:21:32 PM »
Just an update - I approached the seller and asked for a £10 refund, and wish I hadn't.  She was EXTREMELY upset with me and it left a sour taste.  Its a shame as she was very pleasant and helpful to deal with during the sale process.  Needless to say i didn't pursue it with her, but just let it go.  although I did send a final message saying I didn't want the transaction to end on a sour note.
 :(

coffeeandcake

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 13:08:40 PM »
Oh what a shame re the £10 @annieeg.  I hope you manage to resolve the cutting blade issue.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 15:22:56 PM »
She probably didn't know about the scissors @annieeg so maybe thought you were trying it on. 

I'm going to have to go through all the stitches on my Expression 2 when I sell it as I have never ever even had a look at them to see what they are like.  Only one I know is dodgy is the basting stitch, never worked, even after a 'repair, but the rest of the machine more than makes up for it.

I just hope the next one is as good, sometimes up to date doesn't equate to better.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 15:39:52 PM »
@Gernella   You're probably right inasmuch as she didn't realise it didn't work, I wish I hadn't bothered her with the problem when I discovered it.   :|

Sakar

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 19:18:29 PM »
In my mind it was the right thing to ask her wether she knew the problem or not. Don't feel guilty!!! You bought a machine "ready to sew" and in this condition is should have arrived!!

I hope the rest works fine, because it's a very lovely machine  :loveit:

I have a pfaff QE 4.2 and I know this problem very well!!! :headbang: in my case it's always the same problem that the screw, which fastens the blade, get loose very easily. My suggestion: take s little screwdriver and fasten the screw of the blade.

I hope that helps and solves the problem.  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 19:23:22 PM by Sakar »

annieeg

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 22:45:15 PM »
@Sakar  :thumbsup: