The Sewing Place

Can I make this wider?

b15erk

Can I make this wider?
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
I started making this for the dressup box sometime last year, and for some reason it got overlooked.  We found it last night, and Lilya said that she would like Nana to finish it for her.

So, we tried it on (Lilya has a healthy respect for the pins), and it fit perfectly - except for the circumference!  Fortunately, I hadn't sewn the zip in.

What I would like to know is how easy this will be to correct, or should I start another?  I need a minimum of an inch adding, but the only place I can see to get the extra fabric in, is the back.

Any ideas accepted!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vegegrow

Re: Can I make this wider?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
 :[ Pic Please Jessie
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »
Sorry Veg!  Pics coming up!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »
One of the recent threads about wedding dresses was about adding huge amounts to the sides of dresses.  A lot of work to unpick those side seams, but doable.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »
One of the recent threads about wedding dresses was about adding huge amounts to the sides of dresses.  A lot of work to unpick those side seams, but doable.

That is what I was going to suggest putting a panel in on the side seams, or the other option, as it is for the dressing up box is, could you not put a band down the centre back, each side of the zip?

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
Thanks girls.  Wondering about ditching the zip, and adding a wider placket???  The fabric frays like the very devil, so I'm reluctant to unpick.

If I do that, I can use KamSnaps..... hmm, it's a thought.

Jessie

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 20:53:09 PM »
Since its for the dressing up box what about top stitching on a couple of strips of wide ribbon  and your kam snaps to fasten.. the way Lilya is growing  she won't be in it for long and the sewing police are not going to inspect  :ninja:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 21:10:31 PM »
How about a centre back panel (fastened one side or the other with snaps) but almost like a box pleat, then with some gold cord to lace it up like a proper princess bodice.

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 22:39:24 PM »
How about a centre back panel (fastened one side or the other with snaps) but almost like a box pleat, then with some gold cord to lace it up like a proper princess bodice.
I would do something like this:  'modesty panel' attached on one side only, then mock lacing in fancy elastic so she can still pull it on.  It will look lace, but be easily wearable. 
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
Knew I could rely on you!!  Great ideas, and far more imaginative than a boring placket!

I'll buy some gold ribbon in town today, and take it from there! 

I'm thinking, modesty panel with criss cross faux fastening, attached at one side, and kam snaps on the other.

:) <3 :flower: :)
Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
Well, thanks to my lovely friends here, the lovely Lilya has a new Princess dress for the the boxball!

First of all I drew what I wanted, then I cut a test piece from cotton.  Then I went for it!  It is really just a rather large trapezoid placketx2 and folded like bias to go over the edges.  I machined the criss-cross ribbon on first, folded and pressed it, slipped it over the edges and stitched it down. Did the same for the other side minus criss cross ribbon.  Placed one side over the other, Kam snaps went on et voila!

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »
That's lovely.  Too good for a dressing up :frock:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
Brenda, thank you!  The top fabric is lovely quality, but tbh, the bottom is made of cheap sparkly lining, and poly organza - both fray like the devil, and will probably come apart.  :o

It's better to be worn though, than to sit on a hanger :)

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »
Lovely lovely lovely!   :D

She's a lucky little girl!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

dolcevita

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 20:27:58 PM »
Perfect!  Brilliant save, Jessie.