The Sewing Place

Hello from the Mild Mild West

UttaRetch

Re: Hello from the Mild Mild West
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 09:56:05 AM »
In my case it is ex.  I was never a very confident rider and when early onset cataracts kicked in, I sold the bike never to return.   :(

I am now back on four wheels, but no longer drive in the dark and stick mostly to the weekends because the parking in my road is dire - no residents only.  :angry:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 10:05:01 AM »
Hi there Kaliratbags.

Welcome to TSP. Yes, the American Museum is a very interesting place although I only visited it once. I used to work at UoB some years ago and then we moved to south west Ireland.

Looking forward to seeing your makes.  :thumbsup:

Nevis5

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 11:23:22 AM »
Welcome from me, too @Kaliratbags  !  :toast:  I know nothing of quilting or vintage machines, or motorbikes but that doesn't mean I'm not nosy and wouldn't like to see pics  :devil:

You live in a beautiful part of the world.

Kenora

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
Welcome from someone further West than you, who is also a quilter and a dressmaker. It's exceedingly mild today (12C) but yesterday we had snow - weird weather. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Marniesews

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 19:33:50 PM »
Hi Kaliratbags and welcome from me (again).

I assume your passion for those particular quilts was fuelled by the collection at the American Museum in Bath. Only been once many years past now but it made an impression on me - just not quite enough to turn me into a quilter, unlike many others here as you've probably already discovered.  ;)

I had a couple of basic machines and saved up for a long time to get my own much loved Viking 6570 (the burgundy coloured one) in the latter half of the 70s. She was much loved for over 30 years until the dreaded cam stack crack appeared. Then I bought a couple of new Pfaffs (one big and flashy, the other a small mechanical). I still have both but now also have 4 Berninas from the 1980/90s which I discovered rather late on to be my dream machines.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 19:36:32 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

SingingSinger

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 10:29:39 AM »
I'm from Bath but have lived in Bristol for more years than I wish to admit, and have been sewing on machines since I was about 5 (and yes, I still have them both, an Elna Lotus Zig Zag, and a Frister and Rossman 45, one from each Grandmother.)

My 'thing' is quilting - well, specifically traditional American blockwork with Civil War fabrics, or some lovely vintage looking Moda yardage. I've taught a number of novices, run courses and workshops, but I'm not the most patient of people, it's very time consuming and the pay is not great! I'll stick to the day job (Research Data Management... that pays the bills :D)

I've got 7 other vintage Singer machines (not all of them work!)

Hi and welcome to TSP @Kaliratbags  :D Bristol and Bath are lovely and I have family who live thereabouts.

I have a Elna Lotus and vintage Singer, along with a couple of modern machines, and have just recently got into quilting, although I have been sewing since I was child.

What type of research do you work in? I'm a research manager in the NHS.  :D
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Kaliratbags

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 22:40:38 PM »
Hi @SingingSinger!

I work for a University, so I don't do the research, I just make sure they manage it properly and publish it! @WildAtlanticWay, UoB is where I work - went as a student, never left!

@Marniesews, I used to visit the Museum a lot as a child, it probably made an impression :), as did the pecan brownies :D

@UttaRetch, I don't ride in the dark, and I'm quite fairweather!
Singer 28k hand crank, 66k (x2!) 99K, 221k, 222k, 348k, Elna Lotus 'Zig Zag', Frister and Rossman Model 45, Viking Husqvarna Platinum 955E, and now 3 industrial Singers - 31k15 treadle head, a 96k49 and a compound walking foot 31k47

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 08:56:50 AM »
Ah, that’s very interesting. I used to be Secretary to the Research Degrees Exam Board amongst other duties. Are you in a Dept. or central Support Services?

The only person I’ve kept in contact with from UoB after all these years, works in PR. He’s planning his escape strategy.  :laughing:

p.s. I got the Banksy reference.  ;)