The Sewing Place

Pfaff 4.2 persistent error message

annieeg

Pfaff 4.2 persistent error message
« on: February 12, 2021, 12:31:41 PM »
I am getting a persistent error message:  "remove thread jam under the stitch plate".  I have removed the plate, removed the bobbin 4 timesand there is NO thread under the plate, its clean and lint free.  I've switched the mchine on and off several times, but the error message remains.
The machine won't stitch at all.    :scream:
Does anyone know what I should try next ?
ALSO - when i the feed dogs are now in the down position and wont respond when i use the feed dog lever.
If I lift the feed dogs GENTLY with a screwdriver, then they do rise. Any ideas on this problem?

Thanks in advance
Annie
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:39:29 PM by annieeg »

Lachica

Re: Pfaff 4.2 persistent error message
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 13:08:26 PM »
Take a pic of the error screen & send to the person who sold you the machine. You need to return it for a refund.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 13:11:32 PM »
Found this on Internet for same machine:

hi

tol-mon :
Try re-threading and make sure the presser foot lever is in the up position. If it continues, once threaded and with the presser foot down, pull on the thread through the needle. If it has resistance, it is threaded properly. If it pulls easily then there is a problem in the tension area. Check to see if there are pieces of thread broke off in between the tension disc.

JACUSTOMER-xp3aye9h- :
The thread has resistance but the motor doesn't even try to start. The message comes on instantly. The needle does not move so there is no thread jam.

tol-mon :
You need to unpick and remove all the fragments of thread; otherwise, they can clog and damage the machine. Unscrew or remove the needle plate if necessary, and remove and examine the bobbin and top threads. Usually, when you clean out and rethread the machine, the problem goes away.

tol-mon :
Just remember to unplug the machine before working on the problem.

Jus Answer Com site
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 13:11:44 PM »
That doesn't sound good @annieeg.  Are you covered by any agreement (Ebay etc?), or did you use your Credit Card to pay for it?

I do hope you manage to get your money back...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 13:30:50 PM »
@annieeg I have this machine - the feed dogs will move back up once you switch the machine off and then on again.

Re the thread jam - have you also taken out the black bobbin case?  If there is the tiniest piece of thread underneath it that will need to be removed.  Even if you can't see anything it's always worth a clean.  You may possibly need to rethread the machine again after all that. 

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 13:52:40 PM »
Thanks  all.  I cleaned and rethreaded and then pressed the "OK" button and it seems to be working now.  Feed dogs are also working.   
I got so used to a less sophisticated Pfaff that this one intimidates me a bit. 
Still I hope I get to bond with it 8) in dye course. 
Thanks again. 
Annie

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 13:53:00 PM »
@annieeg I have that machine and frequently get that message before I start sewing.  If you just press the OK it will make a whirring noise, supposedly clearing the 'jam' then you are good to go.  I don't know whether or not there really is a jam,  I've never looked. 

Also, when you get the message saying the bobbin thread is running out just press OK and carry on sewing.  When you stop you will get the message again but so long as you OK it you can carry on sewing.  Its a bit if a pain but there's a lot of thread left on the bobbin .
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 13:56:28 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 15:01:12 PM »
Just keep pressing the OK button and it clicks away and clears the jam... even if there isn’t one.

WendyW

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 15:08:25 PM »
@annieeg

Also, when you get the message saying the bobbin thread is running out just press OK and carry on sewing.  When you stop you will get the message again but so long as you OK it you can carry on sewing.  Its a bit if a pain but there's a lot of thread left on the bobbin .

I've had the opposite experience with mine. If I hit OK, it will immediately tell me again and it stops the sewing when it notifies me, which is extremely annoying. If I ignore the notification I can usually continue sewing until i run out of thread, but I do have to tell it OK before it will let me make any adjustments to the stitch length, etc.

@annieeg [Still I hope I get to bond with it in due course.]  I also hope you do. I've had mine for 2 yrs and have not bonded well with it. I still miss my older Pfaff.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 15:12:07 PM »
Yes, @WendyW  you're right about the bobbin thing.  It's annoying anyway but not a deal breaker.  I just wish it would wait until the bobbin really had less on it.
Life's too short for ironing.

WendyW

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 16:23:27 PM »
I just wish it would wait until the bobbin really had less on it.

I totally agree with you here! My previous Pfaff had the same issue.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 18:55:12 PM »
I'm so glad I got rid of my QE4. Sounds like they still haven't fixed all the irritating glitches it had.