The Sewing Place

Aldi Overlocker - Grrrr!!

Dummer

Aldi Overlocker - Grrrr!!
« on: February 12, 2021, 14:32:22 PM »
I'm a first timer on this forum & a total novice to overlocking. Several years ago Aldi had Delta overlockers on sale offer & after having a small success  with normal machining, I thought I'd give the overlocker a try. For various reasons, (not least was it frightened the life out of me), it stayed in the box & kept the rest of the junk in my loft company. A couple of weeks ago I thought the Covid lockdown would give me a good reason to get it out, so out it came. The last fortnight, the machine has caused me nothing but grief & frustration. Admittedly, some of it is certainly down to my almost total ignorance in the use of overlockers. On two occasions, the front feed dog attachment screw has has become loose, causing the machine to stop feeding completely! I've totally re-threaded probably fifty time & also replaced the needles. The thread tensioner wheels were all askew & one actually decided to disassemble itself whilst I was turning it. The latest problem is the L/H needle thread keeps breaking. As an overlocker, I think the machines a 'wrongun' although it's really effective for hair removal (by the handful)! As you've probably gathered by now, this post is a cry for help! In better times, I would have seeked out somebody who knows a lot more than me locally (which is almost everybody) & asked their advice, but the pandemic prevents that. Help & advice from any quarter would be soooo much appreciated.
Sorry for the rambling, but I was completely sane a fortnight ago - Honestly!

Flobear

Re: Aldi Overlocker - Grrrr!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 14:41:36 PM »
I can't help with the technical aspects but I do share your pain and frustration @Dummer . I joined this forum because I was having overlocker grief too.

I bought a fairly decent second-hand one and the chap who sold it to me was very good about coming to help with odd issues. Sometimes it worked fine and at other times just Would Not  :boohoo: In the end I took advice from here and bought a new entry-level machine. It's working reliably! Threading is a bit of a pain until you get used to it because you only have to do one thing a tiny bit wrong and the machine won't overlock properly. That, I believe, is true of any overlocker.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 14:50:54 PM »
I have a Lidl/Singer O/L which I bought as a second machine, the first one was no good, but Lidl exchanged it, and it has been pretty good since.

My friend bought the Aldi one, again as a second machine, and I believe she's pretty happy with it.

What I have noticed is that threading is a bit more fiddly than with my Pfaff, and it's easy to miss a guide, so I always check before I start sewing.  The stitch quality is good considering the price of the machine.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Dummer

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 15:22:17 PM »
I think the time might be approaching when I have to quantify the ratio between my user ignorance and the unservicibility of the machine!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 16:48:26 PM »
It really shouldn’t be causing you that much trouble.

Maybe it’s time to get rid and buy a named brand Overlocker such as Brother, Janome, Juki. etc.?

I originally bought a Lidl one that was temperamental and now have a basic Brother Overlocker which hasn’t caused me any problems so far. I made my son a blanket hoodie the other week so lots of fluff and thick seams and it was fine.

Dummer

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 17:13:15 PM »
Yes, I think you are not wrong.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 17:25:50 PM »
Welcome @Dummer  :drink: :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 18:07:21 PM »
I’m afraid I’d recommend getting rid and getting a brand name machine too. 
I’d also recommend not keeping any machines in a loft.  They don’t like huge changes in temperatures. 

As you’ve had it quite a while you can’t really take it back.  Lesson learned I’m afraid.  :(

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 18:18:05 PM »
Hi Drummer, welcome to the forum with a tale we recognise. Like so many things deciding what to buy and how much to pay is tough when you're going in with no previous experience. I think you're learning what most of us have done over our sewing lives.

I'm a great believer in buying robust and substantial sewing machines but unfortunately those aren't going to be the new ones going cheap (and not always that cheap either) and not just in supermarkets. Fortunately budget doesn't rule out buying a good one, however, just look at good quality used machines. Of course, you can be lucky or unlucky with any sewing machine but you'll reduce the potential to waste your money and improve your results.

Overlockers are basic mechanical machines making good used buys, no computerisation, no bells and whistles to go wrong. Resolving faults is usually easy enough done by a service engineer. Look for names like Juki, Bernina, Babylock, Janome. I'll include Pfaff too based on the good quality of their older sewing machines -- I don't know so much about their overlockers.

I'm afraid I'm not including Brother, however, because I bought their top of the range overlocker just over 7 years ago (4234D - still in their range). The results were ok for a lightweight plasticky machine but it was far from robust and I regretted it very quickly. At least you should waste less money than I did.  :rolleyes:
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 23:53:44 PM »
I agree with the others about buying a decent make. 

Mine is a Bernina, and although only about 3 years old I'm not sure if the new Berninas as what they were even then.  Juke and Janome are good brands.

When I bought the Bernina there were only three in the shop to choose from; the Brother sounded as rough as the old Toyota I was abondonning and the Pfaff had tension issues.  The Bernina has been brilliant.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:54:17 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 08:33:38 AM »
Mine is a Bernina, and although only about 3 years old I'm not sure if the new Berninas as what they were even then.  Juke and Jamone are good brands.

Not long ago a dealer told me that the Bernina overlockers, once made by Juki, no longer are and his customers who have bought the newer Berninas have been struggling with them. My Bernina 800 is years old. I had it serviced over the summer and it’s doing great.

realale

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 09:07:20 AM »
[quote . My Bernina 800 is years old.
[/quote]
Ooops, read that as 'my Bernina is 800 years old' !!! :laughing:

So many beers, so little time.

Dummer

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 17:55:48 PM »
My thanks to you all for your words of advice & encouragement, which I'll heed in the future. Bernina or Janome, here I come!  :)