The Sewing Place

Thread breaking... sob...

toileandtrouble

Re: Thread breaking... sob...
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 19:23:16 PM »
@Acorn Barnyarns carry them and some other brands. They have just improved their mutlibuy discount too.   
Wish you had not mentioned this @dolcevita.  I had to look, and I come over all funny when I see those ranges - I want them all. Still, it takes attention from the aching.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 19:37:44 PM »
Thanks @Deafoldbat - I've just had a look at them on Barnyarns.  There are some lovely variegated blues.  I seem to need blues more often than anything else.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 15:10:36 PM »
My bouncy foot arrived early, and it has improved the quality of stitching very much on my Topaz.  The thread is also behaving impeccably, but it tends to on my practice sandwich for some reason.  I suspect it's because it's just so much easier to quilt a small piece.

The silicone spray is due tomorrow.

BTW, the foot came in a set of 4.  Three with springs - open toe, closed toe and transparent - and this one:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Can anyone tell me what this is for?  The pointy bit sits on top of the bit with the screw for changing the needle.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
@b15erk Thank you!  You are wonderful!!!  I siliconed my thread yesterday and today it behaved like a dream.  I just quilted a large area without a single breakage.  In fact the only problem I had was when I quilted a section that wasn't supposed to be stippled and had to unpick it!   :dance:

This might transform my embroidery too - I can't see why it wouldn't work on the brands of thread that the machine likes to shred whilst embroidering, too.   0_0

And thank you @toileandtrouble - we cross-posted the other day when you were pointing me towards Barnyarns!

fajita

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »
Thank you @fajita - so it's just a non-springy version of the others.

steve_h

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 13:09:23 PM »
That foot is springy too. It hinges in the nylon block. The needle coming up hits the arm and raises the foot off of the sewing surface.

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 13:12:23 PM »
Oh yes, so it does!  Thanks @steve_h - do you have any idea when I would choose that one rather than one of the ones with an actual spring?

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 13:13:57 PM »
I find it much easier to FMQ with a hopping foot rather than a floating foot.  I think the fact that it grips the fabric between hops helps.
Life's too short for ironing.

steve_h

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 13:17:55 PM »
I have watched several videos where they had multiple feet and said that it seems to depend on the quilt sandwich. They will try several different feet before finding the one that works best on 'this' quilt.
I have the all metal version of that foot and use it on a 109 year old Singer. With no option to drop the feed dogs other than to remove them, I had to have something that would completely remove the tension to allow the sandwich to move. It's the only foot of that type that I have so I am afraid I won't be any help at which one works best on what.
Sounds like you are well set for whatever may come with all those different feet.

Sara-S

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 13:39:21 PM »
I concur on the thread. I use either Gutermann or Superior Threads.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

KayK

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 18:04:26 PM »
If I have been doing any quilting via free motion, I use Simthread - never ever had a problem with it and I must have over 70 reels of the stuff! (Sewing Machines Direct sell it for £1.39 per 1000m reel)  I have had breakage problems with various reels of Guterman cotton for machine quilting.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 18:34:15 PM »
I have quite a lot of Simthread because I bought a big pack before I discovered that my machine hates it for embroidery!  I may try spraying it with my magic spray though...

The quilt is finished!  It is currently drying on the radiator, so I hope to be able to take some photos tomorrow.  I was going to give it to Mr Acorn to give to littlest goddaughter's Dad when he sees him at work, but he (Mr Acorn) is quite upset at the idea of me not handing it over in person, so it may have to wait!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 21:08:03 PM »
Simthread can cause real problems with machines.  It’s very stretchy.  Seen several machines that needed lots of work after using it.