The Sewing Place

First overlocker

CraftyIrish

First overlocker
« on: February 13, 2021, 12:55:04 PM »
Hi all,  I will be buying my first overlocker in the next few weeks but don't know what one to buy. If anyone has a minute to look at this website they don't have much left but its the best place I have found in Ireland to deliver. Now my limited is about 700.
overlocker
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Lilian

Re: First overlocker
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 13:00:09 PM »
I have an elna 664 pro and I like it very much. I can't help with any others. I know Bernini is a good brand.
Willing but not always able :)

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 13:22:01 PM »
My first was the Janome 644, which did the job very well right up to when I sold and went slightly upmarket with a Bernina  1150MDA, which does the job the same but in a slightly more refined way.

I think Elna's and Janome are very similar.

It's a wonder the Bernina hasn't dropped apart because it does get used a lot with the odd bit of oil thrown at it now and again.

They are very useful tools and well worth the expense.

I assume this is 700 euro, that should buy a decent machine with a good guarantee. I always go with buy the best you can afford at the time.

Only just looked at the list, I'd go with the Bernina, very user friendly, at least mine is.   Course if someone offered me a Babylock for free!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 13:25:45 PM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 13:37:41 PM »
I ordered an entry-level Elna same as Ploshkin and Other-sis-in-Wales but they can sometimes prove difficult to obtain, so the Lovely Irena in Sew Essential told me. Elna is combined with Janome these days and I got the same model with a Janome badge on it to save having to wait 2 months. It hasn't had heavy use but has done everything I've asked of it so far. It's the 9300DX.  The Elna is just the 664, not the Pro version. Ploshkin's had her Elna for ages and is very happy with it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 13:42:18 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 15:03:10 PM »
Yes, my Elna 664 has never missed a beat and I rarely have to even alter the tension.  It stitches perfectly.  It cost just a touch over £200 if I remember correctly
Life's too short for ironing.

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 16:06:52 PM »
Mine are both Brothers (one 30 years old) but have used a Janome at one of their classes, not so easy to thread as Brother. I've also used a Huskylock but wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I'm not a fan of computerised machines either.

Not sure what to suggest from what is available on your list.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 16:56:48 PM »
Hi @CraftyIrish

I can happily recommend John at sewing machines.ie to give you good advice and great customer service. He’s very experienced and knows his machines so I’d call him for a chat and see what he recommends based on your budget and likely sewing projects.

I’m very happy with my cheap Brother overlocker but if I had a bigger budget, I’d go for either a Juki or a babylock.

CraftyIrish

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 17:01:49 PM »
Anybody got the Bernina L 450
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Ivydene

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 17:06:42 PM »
I bought the Juki MO 104D last summer. I was able to visit my local shop although the choice was limited as many were out of stock. I tried out a brother, can ‘t remember which model, and the juki. The juki felt more robust, gave a better stitch and was straight forward to thread. I am working my way through a variety of exercises to create some samples and have made my first knit fabric top. I’m really pleased with it.