The Sewing Place

A Funny Question...

William

A Funny Question...
« on: February 15, 2021, 16:11:04 PM »
Hello-

After seeing a number of videos online i noticed that i have a habit, though i do not know if it is

bad -

When i put a spool of thread on my maschines with horizontal spool i automatically reach for the

largest size spool holder, never using the smaller ones, even with smaller sized spools.  Is this bad

somehow? Why?

Thanks,
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Acorn

Re: A Funny Question...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 16:12:16 PM »
I think that if it works, it's right!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 16:14:20 PM »
I used to do this as well until recently my needle kept breaking (it was embroidery thou)  I think the size to fit thread cone is best to distribute the thread more evenly, although for normal sewing which I have done for years its never been a problem!

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 16:33:11 PM »
I always use the horizontal spool pin but it goes vertical, I always use that way. I had been searching for the missing spool pin for the machine I'm selling  and discovered by accident that I had it all the time but thought it belonged to my Expression, that has it built  it and just tilts up like the tuther one.  I'm very observant, not.

Odd think but whenever I write "My Expression" I feel as if I am saying "My Lake House".   :laughing:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 20:05:06 PM »
Hello-

After seeing a number of videos online i noticed that i have a habit, though i do not know if it is

bad -

When i put a spool of thread on my maschines with horizontal spool i automatically reach for the

largest size spool holder, never using the smaller ones, even with smaller sized spools.  Is this bad

somehow? Why?

Thanks,

I do exactly the same! Have never used the smaller one on either of my Janome machines so that takes me back 30 years  :o. One reason I do it is to stop thread catching on any burrs that could be on the reel of thread. Going back to before we all used Gutermann, the Sylko bobbins used to have a 'notch' to secure the thread and it was easy to catch the thread in it unless you used the larger holder.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 22:20:49 PM »
You should always match the spool cap to the size of the reel of thread.  If in doubt, use one that is smaller.  The reason is that it puts extra tension on the thread and can result in poor stitching.  But it also results in broken needles!