The Sewing Place

Storing an embroidery unit

Goldenthreads

Storing an embroidery unit
« on: February 16, 2021, 11:37:10 AM »
I'm a lucky new owner of a Brother Innovis V5 and my husband is drawing up plans to build a sewing cabinet for it, and I'm just wondering which is the best way to store the embroidery carriage/unit.  Should it be kept flat and horizontal or can I stand it up on end secured against a side of the cabinet?  I don't want to risk damaging it after just a few uses!   We may be able to allow a few more centimetres to keep the unit in the polystyene packaging it came in.  My sewing cabinet seems to be getting bigger by the minute  >:)

Lachica

Re: Storing an embroidery unit
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:03:23 PM »
I have the Pfaff creative 3 & bought a flat plastic lidded boxes which is designed to slide under a bed. The embroidery unit lays flat in it with hoops & rolls of stabiliser. It's under the sewing desk. I wouldn't stand it on edge because invariably I'd knock it over. I don't want it filling up with dust either.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 12:30:12 PM »
I have the Bernina embroidery unit and keep it standing on end in its purpose-made carry case. I think it depends on how much packing you can keep around your unit so that you don't damage it in any way. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 12:37:35 PM »
The packing it comes in is ideal for storing.  It stops it moving around.  We used to keep units upright or flat, doesn’t really matter.  I have a purpose made case for my Husqvarna but lots of companies have stopped giving those with the machines as it makes it more expensive. 

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
@Ohsewsimple - I had to buy my Bernina case, and it was not cheap at £110 but it's beautifully made and does a wonderful job of keeping my unit safe, so it was a good investment. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 14:01:05 PM »
Ah well, Bernina, yes you would have had to pay for @Kenora
But mine was part of the package. 

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 15:46:32 PM »
Mine is usually in place on the machine, but when it isn't it stands up on end leaning against the wall or the piano stool.  However, I am now thinking that I should at least find it a strong plastic bag to keep the dust and fluff out when it isn't in place.   :thinking:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Goldenthreads

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 16:38:45 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.  You've confirmed my thoughts that I should probably keep it in the original packing.  No room under our beds unfortunately, already occupied by crates of fabrics!

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 19:20:37 PM »
I think the most important thing is to keep it dust free when you are not using it.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Nuttywife59

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 10:10:32 AM »
In case you didn't realise it you can do normal sewing  on your machine with the embroidery unit still in place. I've got an XV and unless  I'm sewing something  big very rarely take embroidery unit off.