The Sewing Place

Shades of blue cardi

Greybird

Re: Shades of blue cardi
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 12:11:23 PM »
I haven't tried it, but I think any punchcard machine (or electronic) will do tuck lace. Basically it's only fairisle done with a very fine yarn in one feeder and a thicker one in the other. Someone wrote a book about card 3 (blocks of 3 needles knitting and one slipping/tucking/fairisling/weaving etc). She had found 150 different ways of using it.

Kenora

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 14:17:01 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper - it's lovely - and the woofbags  :woof: obviously approve too! :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 14:33:00 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper   A very useful tip I came across for stabilising knit seams when you don't want  them stretchy is to use a crochet hook and do a line of crochet chain along the seam picking up the loops of the knitting as you go.  I've used it lots, its particularly useful when the pieces are ' grown on' rather than sewn and I'm a big fan of seamless knitting.  It gives a neat finish too.
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 15:53:58 PM »
I’ve just typed a reply and thought I had posted it but it seems to have disappeared.  So lets try and remember what I had said.

Greybird, yes there was a booklet on Card 3 and this was by Kate Armitage and showed many variations on what you could do with that basic Card 3 punchcard.  She also did one on Card 1.

Then as a variation on a theme there was a lady called Pat Stanton who had articles published in the To and Fro magazine or the Electronic To & Fro magazine.  Pat produced some lovely  garments using variations on tuck stitch and sometimes in conjunction with the ribber.  Then I believe she also did something similar with slip stitch.

A long time ago now we had a guest speaker at our Knitting Club – sadly the club no longer exists – but this lady was Pam Turbett and she was a dressmaker and definitely not a knitter.  Pam had someone knit her up lengths of knitting, yards and yards of this – sometimes it could have been lace knitting, and then Pam treated this like fabric and laid out her pattern and made up the garment using both her sewing machine and an overlocker.  Pam then went on to produce some books on how she did this – by the way her patterns were proper paper patterns like Butterick or Simplicity.

Then there was yet another lady from South Africa who did great things using knitweave and her name is Audrey Palmer and again she produced several books on her technique.

It just goes to show just how versatile our knitting machines can be,  When my local knitting club existed we were very lucky in that we seemed to have an excellent source of industrial yarns and they made quite a difference to our knitting.

Earlier I had mentioned tuck lace and then there was something peculiar to Brother machine only and this was fine lace.

Other excellent books are those by Mary Weaver and Kathleen Kinder.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 16:36:43 PM »
@Ploshkin Oooh, I could kiss hug you, what a great idea to crochet along the (no)seam line!  :dance:

@Elnnina thanks for all your info.  I have to confess to not being a big fan of tuck stitch when it's used purl side out - I just think it looks wrong!  There are some tuck stitches that look ok on the knit side too though.

I've now got the new to me 950i set up, even though I'm waiting for some bits to replace those that it arrived with broken, so it may be back to the garter carriage for the next attempt/experiment.

Now, where's a crochet hook?

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 17:16:05 PM »
Glad to be of service!
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 18:53:23 PM »
The crochet stitches work a treat, thanks @Ploshkin .  I don't crochet though, so had to use the latch hook from the knitting machine.  The stitches are not visible on the right side so that's great.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2021, 19:02:52 PM »
I also got some buttons - 100 for £5.49, bargain!

But I've now thought they may not stand up to washing as they are wooden, but they are well varnished.  Oh well, if they break, there's enough to replace some.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »
I've finally got around to sewing the buttonholes, now I just need to choose some random buttons.  And I'd forgotten I want to add some pocketses - I'll need to work those out...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 13:57:26 PM »
Buttons done, but still needs pocketses.  Dog walk time now though.

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 14:04:09 PM »
That's really nice - those seams at the back give it a great shape, and I luuuurve the buttons.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 15:09:22 PM »
It looks great! Well worth the effort. You have enough buttons to do another one in a different colour!

You have put me to shame - I haven't got any further with my machine project. I decided though that even though I can't get them to her, my daughter's curtains and blind would have to be finished before I can concentrate. I have just started on the second lot of curtains.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 16:38:23 PM »
@Acorn I'm going to do the next one slightly differently as I don't like those seams on the back.  I'm going to do separate side panels sort of inline with where the armhole edge goes straight up, and make the edges of the panels and the back and fronts just slightly more flared.
Yes, @Greybird , plenty more buttons for another one in different shades of blue  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 20:22:33 PM »
Looks great!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2021, 19:46:47 PM »
And, just for completeness sake, here's the pocketses.