The Sewing Place

Post Brexit - Irish Sewing Suppliers?

Tamnymore

Re: Post Brexit - Irish Sewing Suppliers?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 11:26:21 AM »
Just to report that I've finally given up with Driessestoffen! I placed an order on 15th January. A few weeks later they emailed to say that they were still working out what to do about Brexit (aren't we all?  :S ). 6 weeks and more after placing my order I still hadn't heard so I emailed again. They said they are still working out what to do with UK orders and so it might be best if the order was cancelled and I was refunded so I've asked them to do that. Sigh! The Brexit stuff is really not their fault but their website still accepts UK orders and has UK shipping listed. They would really be better to suspend UK orders for the time being as they must surely be many UK orders piling up now. Also they should really have been better at keeping in touch.

So the wingelwagen is parked for the time being. Luckily I am not short of fabric having spent a lifetime stash building.  :devil: :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

hernibs

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2021, 12:31:02 PM »
....@Tamnymore - doubly difficult over here, protocol being tested big time.  As you well know we do not want to be separated from the mainland (or at least the majority don't  LOL) and it is a real pain.....being discussed in Stormont today - discussed is likely a polite word for what will probably turn out to be a shouting match!!

Helen M

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2021, 19:26:11 PM »
Just an update on the import situation.

I ordered fabric from Stragier in Belgium 17th January in their sale and I received it around 28th. It only came to 22 Euros so must have been below tax charges as I didn't have to pay any extra. They had all the correct documentation which my O/H was keen to read having been involved with air cargo imports and exports both before and after we joined the EU. I think the carrier was DHL and I kept the docs for a couple of weeks in case I was asked to pay later, which happened when I ordered from the US some years ago and the shipper was Fed Ex. Must say they seem to have got it all sorted.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2021, 09:09:17 AM »
I used to buy about 90% of my fabric from the U.K. because our main income is in Sterling.

However, now I’ve had to make an effort to explore what’s available elsewhere I’ve discovered lots of suppliers in Ireland that I wasn’t aware of previously and also across the EU, so I’ll pay in euros and won’t have to worry about unnecessary customs charges in the future.

It also looks like our local port in Cork is getting a boost with extra freight ships travelling direct to EU countries and bypassing the U.K. so that’s likely to be good news for future holiday options. I was disappointed when the Cork to Swansea ferry closed down but if they start adding more European destinations, then that’s got to be a good thing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2021, 09:56:22 AM »
Yes some EU suppliers will do well. I definitely recommend Driessenstoffen if you are in the EU. If you have a reasonable sized order (excuse to splurge   :laughing: ) the post isn't too bad to Ireland and the fabric prices are really good for nice quality fabric which you don't see elsewhere. They have said they will refund my order. I've asked them if they could put something on their website when they ate in a position to ship to the UK again.

Lottie

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2021, 17:56:10 PM »
@Tamnymore thank you for the info about Driessenstoffen, I will definitely have a good look there. Ordering fabric from the UK has become a no-no for me.

I believe the threshold for duties etc is 22 euros - easy to spend more than that! Shipping prices have increased as well.

Bloody brexit!
Sitting sewing in the sunshine

Tamnymore

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2021, 18:03:38 PM »
Yes you'll be fine with Driessenstoffen @Lottie. They have lovely stuff. Meanwhile, back in the UK I have discovered Pound a Metre fabrics who have just sent me a lovely tartan linen mix fabric at £2.99 a metre (and which I saw on ebay elsewhere at £9.99 pm ) so I'll be wheeling my winkelwagen there in future.   :laughing: