The Sewing Place

Sweater knit fabrics.

Tiggy

Sweater knit fabrics.
« on: February 18, 2021, 09:06:21 AM »
Where do these fabrics hide?  Can anybody recommend a shop which  sells proper sweater knit, not Ponte?
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Sweater knit fabrics.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
Sorry I can't answer your question, but maybe you can answer mine - what exactly is sweater knit? 

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
@Tiggy almost impossible to find in the UK (they abound on US sites) and I've given up looking.  Girl Charlee used to have some but I recall they are no longer trading.  My Fabrics is worth a look, I have occasionally seen them.  You can usually get plain coloured cable knits but they are always 100% acrylic.
@Bodgeitandscarper sweater knits are knitted fabric that looks like knitting i.e. not cotton jersey and the like.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:45:01 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:50:44 AM »
I had some from here some time ago. I didn't much like it though and most of it went to the charity shop. I think what I didn't like was the seams done on the sewing machine - on knitted fabric I thought it looked cheap.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »
  Can anybody recommend a shop which  sells proper sweater knit, not Ponte?

I bought this from Clothspot last year @Tiggy  in a nice cream colour.  It gave the impression of being quite light but when I finally used it, it was as good as having a wool jumper on but without the prickle, in fact it was so warm it was hard putting in the laundry bin until I'd worn three days, once four, and I'd made a second one with a remnant.  Funny thing is when it comes out of the washer it bulks up like wool fabric. 

They brought it out again in a different colour and I bought it straight away, hoping it will come out as a remnant later to use with my leftovers.

https://clothspot.co.uk/product/linden-marled-almond-ribbed-viscose-jersey-fabric/
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:25:03 AM »
Higgs and Higgs have some sweater fabrics. I have a couple of metres of the cable knit waiting to be made up. It has washed well and seems decent quality.

I think someone else on here has already sewn with it?

Starryfish

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 12:18:46 PM »
My Fabrics aren't sending to the UK at the moment, too much paperwork. Stone Fabrics have a lot of wool jersey, not cheap of course, and they will send swatches. You can find it on Ebay as well, but the quality can be variable ( set it for UK only or you may end up with stuff from China).
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 12:37:41 PM »
Abakhan Fabrics are worth a try.  I bought some when we were allowed out to play for a brief moment last year.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »
Higgs and Higgs have some sweater fabrics.

I think someone else on here has already sewn with it?

I have sewn up 2 dresses with this from Higgs and Higgs in the past, love this fabric. But I think it has polyester in it. I will look for some photos of it.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
I agree @Tiggy its a nightmare to find.  But there are these

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/914808538/angora-look-sweater-fabric-knit-fabric?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sweater+knit+fabric&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

https://www.tfgfabrics.co.uk/sweater-knit--waffle-knit-266-c.asp

https://www.minerva.com/mp?search=Sweater%20knit%20fabric

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/634764870/hacci-classic-sweater-knit-fabric-50-x?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sweater+knit+fabric&ref=sc_gallery-1-3&plkey=cc4c963e196f4528d7b3b7a3e69baa12562f42da%3A634764870&col=1

The Etsy ones come from Europe.  The last one in Poland I have had a few pieces of it.  It’s a fine knit but washes and wears well.  Not exactly what I like as it’s polyester. 

Minerva has quite a bit of it but you have to look through.  Again I have had a couple of bits of theirs, not thick stuff but ok. 
TG fabrics is one I’ve just come across but they have some interesting looking ones. 
As already said, Stone Fabrics.  Always good quality. 

Tiggy

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 19:15:19 PM »
Thankyou all.  I thought it was just me, not spotting them. Lol
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE