The Sewing Place

Needle catching on shuttle holder and out of sync

foggydave

Needle catching on shuttle holder and out of sync
« on: February 18, 2021, 13:10:51 PM »
Hi
I have an AEG 11680 sewing machine. I was sewing a a zig zag pattern on some canvas bags, the needle locked and and the machine stopped. I found the needle was hitting the bobbin housing. It appears that the needle is slightly out of sync with the bobbin.
I have stripped the machine to see if anything may have caused this but found nothing obvious. I am thinking that the cogged drive belt that connects the top needle drive to the bottom bobbin drive may have jumped a tooth.
My question is has anyone had this syncronisity problem?
Also while I am here, when you do a back stitch before sewing to grip the thread how many back stitches is correct? At the moment I do about 5mm/5 stitches is just one or two ok?
Thanks 

Ohsewsimple

Re: Needle catching on shuttle holder and out of sync
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 13:28:06 PM »
Don’t know much about this machine but sounds like you’ve put the timing out.  That would involve a service and getting it put right. 
Reason it’s happened is probably because the machine is not really up to sewing canvas. 
Back stitching at the start?  No rules particularly. 

So Chic

Re: Needle catching on shuttle holder and out of sync
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 16:16:54 PM »
I used an AEG machine at a sewing class and to be honest I wasn’t that impressed with it.  I wouldn’t have thought it was up to sewing canvas or anything heavier than a medium weight fabric.  Sorry to be so negative about your machine but take it back to the dealer for them to have a look at it.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up