The Sewing Place

New Sewing Table

Sara-S

New Sewing Table
« on: February 20, 2021, 11:42:04 AM »
At long last, the table I ordered is coming, on Wednesday. It's an Amish Oak gate-leg table with some storage.
https://www.countrylanefurniture.com/sewing-cabinets/small-crafting-table

It's a little high for sewing, so I got a drafting chair to use with it.  But when both leaves are open, it gives me some nice cutting space at a comfortable height, a I am tall. 

My current table is a folding plastic table about 4' long.  That will be stowed & kept for larger cutting jobs.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

HenriettaMaria

Re: New Sewing Table
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 11:49:35 AM »
Nice!  In shape and cupboards it's like mine, which was inherited over 40 years ago from a great aunt but at nearly 3 ft tall yours is definitely a cutting table.  Having said that, I always lower my sewing chair (an office chair in reality) to its lowest setting when I'm using the machine so I don't expect that having a higher table will be that much of a problem with an adjustable chair.  And it will make cutting out *so* much easier on the back :-)

Two words of advice - do be careful to position the machine directly over the gate-leg's vertical strut to keep its weight properly supported; if you're intending to use an overlocker/serger, be prepared for some 'bounce' at speed!

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »
Very nice - a lot of usefulness in a small space.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »
Nice piece of furniture. 

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 13:21:29 PM »
I don't like looking at pictures like this @Sara-S  envy is a terrible thing.  It would suit me down to the ground but unfortunately cost would be an issue and that has 'cost a lot of money' all over it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 13:51:49 PM »
@Gernella it was expensive.  But I had some retroactive pay from my last contract, from my working years.  So this wasn’t coming out of my regular budget.

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 14:11:22 PM »
That is just what I could do with @Sara-S! Hope you'll enjoy using it.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 15:11:21 PM »
Gernella and Helen M all is not lost, on looking at  Sara S's lovely new table, it immediately struck me as a look alike for the Horn Cutting out table, i.e. the flaps fold down each side of the cupboard, and I can see the opening out supports for the flaps, the only thing that is noticeably different is that the Horn table does not have the decorative wood architrave on the cupboard door.  Now also on the Horn table, there is a cupboard front and back with a shelf inside.  One cupboard is quite a bit deeper than the other, but I find I can keep some decent sized boxes in the larger cupboard, and bales of fabric standing up in the shallower one - I have removed the shelf for this  It is so easy to move around as it is on castors, and I find the height is just right for cutting out.  Why not go looking to see if you can find one of the Horn tables for sale somewhere - that is how I acquired mine, and I haven't regretted doing so.

Sara S go and enjoy your lovely new table, you will really notice what a difference the height makes when cutting out.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 16:21:26 PM »
Yes the Horn is lovely @Elnnina but I need the next one down which is more manoeuvrable and lighter if I need to move downstairs.  Unfortunately while I have the room I think I've spent too much on sewing and accessories over the last 6 months, it will have to go down to the bottom of the 'want' list.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 17:27:10 PM »
I've found my very solid Ikea gate leg table really effective for sewing in addition to my German sewing cabinet in which my big Pfaff lives and is mostly folded away in the corner as I use my old Berninas by far the most.  :rolleyes:

The practicality of being able to fold it down to such a narrow width is great when needed and the central storage is really convenient. I can plonk any of my machines anywhere on it without balance or vibration issues - however, that's because it's heavy and not on castors so there's a trade-off.

I have my wheeled chair on its highest setting and use a knee lift which reduces the need for much of the arm & shoulder lifting. The height isn't too bad for cutting out either as I'm about 5'3" now. If you find yours a bit low for cutting, you could try bed lifting blocks for any major cutting sessions (providing you have another person to help you) as your table will be much lighter to lift than mine.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

datcat23

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 22:53:03 PM »
You won't regret a cutting table (and your back with thank you).  This is a picture of my cutting table.  I have the luxury of being able to have it open to full width, and certainly when I was making the medieval costumes, it was brilliant. 

Lawn pajamas by Dani, on Flickr

The table is a brand called Tailormade, and is part of an integrated sewing room system, although I haven't got any of the other tables yet.  As strong and as stable as it is, I wouldn't put a sewing machine on it to sew.  Those are on smaller custom tables, to avoid vibration being an issue (my overlocker vibrated another machine off the table once). 

Room 2018 by Dani, on Flickr

Enjoy your table, it will be an asset for sure. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 10:34:36 AM »
I have put away the big sewing machine & folded up the plastic table. The room looks so naked.

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 16:55:59 PM »
It’s here!  I have had a chance to set up, store a few things in the cabinets (including all of my thread) and even sew some scrap fabric, just to see how it feels. Even at the fastest speed, it is steady as a rock.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 16:57:42 PM by Sara-S »

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 19:45:55 PM »
That's lovely, nice colour and grain.  Very useful.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sara-S

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 11:45:27 AM »
Thanks to you all for the encouraging words & good advice. I am still figuring out what stuff I can store in the cabinets, but the room already looks tidier.  Next week I want to start on the Purse Project again, now that I have more work space.