The Sewing Place

A new bag designer...

RJR_38

A new bag designer...
« on: February 20, 2021, 21:32:53 PM »
I made my mum a bag ready for Motber's Day - she was quite specific in what she wanted - cross body, outside pocket for phone, purples and plain but pretty   >:)

I saw this pattern and thought it would be ideal - 2 slip pockets ideal for phone etc, zip pockets will prob be decorative but are functional. Inside I put a zip pocket and a slip pocket (not in pattern) as I find these more useful.

I don't think I'll be using this designer again - it was difficult to understand at times and I think I only really managed it as I have made quite a few bags before. Saying that it really isn't my best work and I'm not particularly happy with some elements but I think my mum will love it still. It was one of those projects where if it could go wrong, it did but it got completed!

I used Harris Tweed for the main fabric and Portuguese cork for the accents. I love sewing with cork - it sews like a dream. The zipper pulls are such fun and as my mum loves cows it seemed a missed opportunity not to use Highland cows with Scottish tweed!

The lining is Tula Pink fabric - I love her stuff so much and this fabric is gorgeous as a lining.

I'm glad it's done now and am looking forward to something enjoyable next. There are some small pouches I am eyeing up...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Catllar

Re: A new bag designer...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 22:00:05 PM »
You've done a lovely job of that - I'm another fan of sewing cork too.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 22:12:56 PM »
Wow. That's fantastic. Love the Harris tweed. You are such an expert!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 22:17:10 PM »
Well done, especially as you had problems with the pattern. I like the fabrics - must look out for that cork, it looks interesting.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

RJR_38

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 07:58:25 AM »
Cork is a dream to sew with and comes in a whole range of colours. It is also hard-wearing water resistant, and doesn't need much interfacing.

That being said- it is on the pricey side so best saved for special projects...

charley

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 22:08:25 PM »
Beautiful bag.