The Sewing Place

Singer buttonholer

Marniesews

Singer buttonholer
« on: May 28, 2017, 00:05:05 AM »
Since I bought my 201K I've been thinking of getting a buttonholer as they're so lauded by you vintage owners. I checked Helen Howes first and saw a black one that she said was her favourite and the same one in cream. I then found the cream one below (same reference number) on eBay looking in very good condition and with the original booklet too. I've got it for £10.81 including postage!  :D Hoping to find it lying on the mat when we get back from holiday.

Any tips on the best way of getting the settings right for a beginner on these fascinating devices?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

Re: Singer buttonholer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 00:24:27 AM »
Getting the correct size of the buttonhole is a test and trial sort of thing. You set the width and length aproxymately from the marks on the attachment and then fine tune when test sewing (like any buttonholer function really). I have the black one, which machanically is identical to your white and red. The only thing that took me while to understand is the importance of using a relatively large size needle and to match needle and thread size suitably.

I have no problem using Gütermann's sew-all polyester and but some cotton threads have turned out the snap easily, most have been fine though, and part of my troubles have been tension issues. I think Singer recommended mercerised cotton of best quality. I don't know what type of machine you plan to use it on. My 201K can have the feed dogs lowered and it works well, some machines need the feed dog cover. It's easy, just do a bit of test sewing and try out the adjustment options and you will get it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:00:41 AM by arrow »

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 00:46:22 AM »
Your reply is good to read so we'll see how I go.

My 201K is the only straight stitcher that I have so that will be the one it's used on – for the moment anyway, but I'm not telling my husband that just yet!  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:03:13 AM »
THe first thing to do is clean it thoroughly- they generally have loads of thick congealed orange goo inside, so get in there with a cotton bud, and oil everything well.  Obviously be cautious that trickling oil doesn't then stain your sewing [how do I know that one?  hmmm]

They are absolutely amazing devices, and the reason why I now love making buttoned garments, after about 35 years of avoiding them like the plague
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
You got a bargain.

Do get it well oiled and cleaned up before putting good fabric near it, but once up and running it should make excellent buttonholes. 

Start with mid range settings and experiment.  Twice around each buttonhole generally looks better than once around.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »
You got a bargain.
Twice around each buttonhole generally looks better than once around.

I found that until I sussed adjusting the stitch density too, now once round works a treat
C'est moi!

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »
I'm looking for one too for my industrial machine, I tried to ring Helen Howes on Thursday but she wasn't answering.
Good luck with it and come back and let me know how you get on with it, will you please.

SingingSinger

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »
I've just bought one of these this week (thanks to BrendaP :)). The instruction book is pretty easy to follow and the adjustments easy to make and fairly intuitive. I was making decent buttonholes in no time! I also found a good video on YouTube by blogger "Male Pattern Boldness" which was really helpful:

http://malepatternboldness.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/peter-speaks-singer-buttonholer-video.html
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 11:44:33 AM »
Thank you, SingingSinger, now I understand how you can do a buttonhole on a straight stitch machine - and why you all rave about the buttonholes they make. Fascinating.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 10:05:16 AM »
I'm looking for one too for my industrial machine, I tried to ring Helen Howes on Thursday but she wasn't answering.
Good luck with it and come back and let me know how you get on with it, will you please.

Helen had been away on holiday- but she's back now. Try email, she is very good and helpful.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
I was making cushions at the weekend, and had to make lots of buttonholes.  I'd left the buttonholer (a template one) set up on the machine, so all I had to do, was change the template, and buttonholes magically appeared!!

I love my Singer buttonholers!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
I love my Singer buttonholers!

They are just the bee's knees, I love mine too.

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 20:22:27 PM »
Helen had been away on holiday- but she's back now. Try email, she is very good and helpful.
Thank you, that explains why I haven't been able to get an answer from her, I'll try again on Thursday.

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 23:38:32 PM »
I've been watching this thread with interest.  I have never had or used a Singer buttonholer, I find my elna does a beautiful job.  I am wondering now about getting one for my 201k  -<
Willing but not always able :)

arrow

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 13:34:41 PM »
Has anyone tried this buttonholer? It's a Ruby buttonholer, and there are at least two types. I remember a few has mentioned the Ruby decorative zigzagger as one of the best, but I have so far not had my hands on either. It looks like the buttonholer might be easy to adjust and fine tune when it's attached to the machine.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 17:43:21 PM by arrow »