The Sewing Place

Hi I'm from Surrey in the UK, thank you for letting me join, I have a query

caroline23red

Hi I'm new, from Surrey in the UK, thank you for letting me join the group. 

I started sewing at school many years ago and since lockdown have assisted with "scrubs" for the NHS and have learn (from YouTube) patchwork quilting, I have made three cot quilts and have been knitting (have learnt how to follow a grid) to make some buggie quilts with sheep motifs, as well as other knitting projects. 

My query I have is, I have made a knitted blanket and want to put batting and a cotton lining and wondered the best way to do this?  The batting is 80% cotton 20% poly.  I thought of attaching the batting to the cotton lining by machine (perhaps using decorative stitching) then either machine sewing the lining to the knitting or perhaps hand stitching the fabric to the knitting.  Any advice would be welcome. 

Thank you

b15erk

@caroline23red , a big welcome from me!  :drink: :cake:

I can't help with your problem, as I don't quilt, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who will have the answer.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kenora

Welcome to TSP from me too. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ellabella

If I was doing this I would attach the batting to the lining and then hand stitch it to the knitting as it will give a softer feel.

Welcome to TSP.

Lilian

Welcome to TSP @caroline23red  :drink: :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Deafoldbat

a knitted blanket and want to put batting and a cotton lining

@caroline23red Not wanting to be rude, but why do you want to do this? I'd have thought a knitted blanket will do very well on its own.

caroline23red

Hi
The reverse of the blanket shows the floats which I think don’t look great plus thought baby might catch it’s fingers too. I was just going to line with cotton fabric and someone on another forum suggested adding batting.
Any suggestions welcome

b15erk

I think a brushed cotton would be better than batting which may make the blanket too warm.

Look forward to seeing it when you're finished!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

charley

Hello and welcome from me too. I agree with a brushed cotton backing for your knitted blanket.

Marniesews

Hi there. I see you've got an answer to your question - that's good because I'm not a quilter either so will just go for hello and welcome.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

Re: Hi I'm from Surrey in the UK, thank you for letting me join, I have a query
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 21:38:57 PM »
I would do it pretty much the same way as a patchwork quilt, assuming the knitting is fairly firm* - layering backing, wadding and knitted piece, using temporary spray adhesive until I'd fixed them together with stitching.  As I wouldn't want to do much quilting on top of the knitted piece I would put in a few stitches at spaces that fit with the knitting pattern to hold it all together, then add the binding around the outside.

If you want to bag it (wrong sides together, stitch them together most of the way around and turn rightside out) then I would use the spray adhesive to fix the wadding to the wrong side of the backing, then stitch them together, turn out and add stitches to hold everything together as above.  That sounds pretty much like your description, I think.

But we don't allow the quilt police in here, so however you want to do it is just fine.   :thumbsup:

*If the knitting is floppy or very stretchy I would back it with fabric first.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 22:17:18 PM »
The difficulty with adding a lining, and maye wadding too, to a knitted blanket is that the knitting will have rather more stretch than woven fabric or wadding; even colourwork knitting with floats will have some stretch.  I also think that adding wadding will make it very thick.

My suggestion would be to find a jersey fabric for the backing so that the floats are covered and then tie the two layers together, don't quilt with continuous lines of stitching.  You will also need a binding which has a bit of stretch.  Either leave a very wide turning on the backing and fold it in so that it gets held down with the ties (add extra ties along the edges) and then knit an i-cord edging, or trim the jersey backing to match the knitted top and then crochet all the way around- you will need a pointy crochet hook to pierce through the fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 22:33:20 PM »
Hi and welcome. If you want a batting on a knitted fabric then the fibres will work through the knitting so you'll need to sandwich the batting between 2 linings first. Why not just use a minky fabric and lose the batting. Minky is a soft light fabric  that'd work well.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 22:40:40 PM »
Hello, I'm not a quilter either  but I'd use fleece instead of batting and a fabric on the back, with perhaps just a few sort of spots of hand stitching to keep them together, with maybe a satin bias binding round the edges.

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 19:46:35 PM »
Hello, welcome from me too  :D